Gastroenterology Community
Stomach/left abdominal pain while flying, unusal contour of colon in CT...
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stomach/left abdominal pain while flying, unusal contour of colon in CT

(1) I started having problems while flying about 2.5 to 3 years ago. Longer flights were unbearably painful with symptoms  severe pain/pressure in the lower stomach/abdomen(left), bloating, unable to pass gas, etc.   Once the altitude decreased, things improved during such flights. Subsequently tests (blood/urine/stool) were done through both my workplace physicians and at SMG, but those did not reveal any problems since everything seemed OK on ground.  In the meanwhile I lost about 25 pounds by a combination of exercise and careful dietary habits.  This, along with strict dietary control pre-flight (e.g.: just yogurt/rice and such) helped somewhat on some flights.  However the problem has persisted.  

(2) I had a CT scan done of the abdomen and pelvis. Findings: "Unusual contour of the colon which may represent severe diverticular disease. However finding could represent unprepped study or even areas of symmetrical wall thickening. The finding is diffuse and should be correlated with clinical examination. Consideration of barium enema or endoscopy is suggested". My doctor has advise colonoscopy next.

Can anybody (1) and (2).  What does symmetrical wall thickening mean?  I doubt the diverticular disease, since I do not seem to exhibit other symptoms of it such as fever, chills etc.

Thanks
Tags: Colon