Gastroenterology Community
Stomach or heart? Please help

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach or heart? Please help

Two times in the last week, I have experienced what I can only describe as a huge bubble right between my breasts.  The pain comes on suddenly, feels like tearing and is definitely a 10 on a pain scale.  I can't talk or barely move.  It peaks in about a minute then gradually the bubble feeling subsides and there remains pressure right in the sternum area for 10 minutes or so.  I have had MVP repair in 1999, I have Celiac Disease.  I just had an endoscopy in October 2012 (duodenal ulcer - but that cleared up fast with meds).  I just had cardiac enzymes and EKG done (2 wks ago) which were normal (I was in the ER with LT arm and shoulder pain but determined to be a pinched nerve that responded to steroid treatment).  I just don't know whether to call the heart doctor or the GI or go to the ER.  I'm fine right now.  It happened again today (3rd time) but wasn't near as bad as before.  Thank you.
If you have any suspicion that you might have acid issues, the pain you're experiencing could be the result of any esophageal spasm. The symptoms can be severe and resemble a heart condition in some cases. But you need to rule out the possibility of a heart condition before pursuing GI issues.

But if it's very severe and you don't know which way to turn, you're going to have to go to the ER - just to be safe.