Gastroenterology Community
Stomach pain, fainting, nausea, diarrhea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

The night before last I had a cup of hot chocolate and then went to bed a couple hours later, around 12am.  At that time my stomach started hurting but I figured I could sleep it off. I tossed and turned for a couple hours and then at about 2am I got up because I was feeling worse and went to look for some pepto-bismol. As I was looking through cabinets I started to break out into a cold sweat. We didn't have any and I was feeling really bad so I went back to lay down in bed, however as I closed the bedroom door behind me I passed out/fainted and my boyfriend woke up to me falling. He tried to help me back up but I passed out again and landed spread-eagle on the floor (this is what he tells me, I don't remember it very well).  I felt a little better on the floor but then I felt the need to go to the bathroom so he helped me up again and got me to the bathroom and then left to go to the store to find some pepto-bismol. For the rest of that night, I had diarhhea that made me go about every 10-15 minutes. Once morning came around I attempted to get some sleep but it didn't happen. All of yesterday I still had watery diarrhea that had me going every hour or so.  Last night I was able to sleep but today I still have watery diarrhea, though only once every 2-3 hours. I feel a little better, though I am pretty tired and my stomach still aches a little, especially when I take a deep breath.

What happened to me?

This discussion is related to abdominal pain, nausea, fainting.
Wow, what a night!  It sounds like food poisoning to me, as my husband had it and re-acted the same way. You need to stay hydrated and get some electrotrolytes, and potassium back in your body.  With having severe diarrhea you deplete your system of this and it can make you very tired, nauseous, and weak.  Drink lots of orange juice or Gatorade and you should start feeling better.  If not, I would get checked out.  Best of luck.......
I can't figure out what food might have caused it. I don't eat meat, and that day I had a half of a bagel with butter and a pear for breakfast, some roasted beets and broccoli that I got from whole foods, then a frozen Indian dinner. I had a craving for some chocolate later on, so I had a cup of swiss-miss hot chocolate and a kashi cookie (I thought I was being good.. boyfriend offered to go to dairy queen).
Maybe the frozen dinner?  Nice boyfriend, I would have gone for Dairy Queen!  Seriously, get some orange juice, and/or Gatorade into your system and see if you feel better.  You have to be dehydrated with that much diarrhea.  My husband got sick from eating at a buffet, luckily we were close to his doctor's office, so we went straight there.  He sent him to the hospital for some IV fluids to replenish his body. He had sweated through all his clothing which included a suit jacket and tie! He also complained of his stomach being sore the next day.  Food poisoning can be mild to serious, and yours sounds like it was pretty bad.  Let me know how you feel as the day progresses, and if it should get worse, or happen again soon, I would just go to the ER.
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers