Gastroenterology Community
Stomach pain and Nausea

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach pain and Nausea

My daughter has been suffering with stomach pain and nausea for a couple months, eating doesn't help it usually makes it worse.  After she eats she usually feels like she is going to get sick but hasn't yet. She has bouts of dizziness associated with the nausea at times which includes blurry vision sometimes. Our family doctor have been unable to diagnose the problem. Doctors thought it was Acid Reflex however Pryloc(?) made her systems worse.   We were referred to a gastroenterologists, her appointment is next week.   The pain is located directly below her ribs in upper or lower stomach it is either one or the other never both.  She hasn't had unusual bowel movements. (regular, normal)  She has had unrinalysis and blood work done all came back normal.  She had an ultra sound of her abdominal area all was normal.  She is not a drug, or alcohol user, is not sexually active and is not under any unusual stress.  She hasn't lost any weight yet.  She's active in sports all year long so she gets plenty of exercise.  She has never had any unusual illnesses or surgery.   Doctors have her on Zantac and anti-nausea meds.   I have decided to eliminate fatty and fried foods however she doesn't usually eat those kinds of foods.   Any help would be appreciated.  She is missing alot of her freshman year of high school year.  Thank you.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The symptoms indicate gastritis or gastro esophageal reflux disease. Another possibility is that she could be suffering from abdominal migraine. In this condition there is pain in the stomach, nausea, cramps and often vomiting. Chemical changes precipitated by stress and anxiety can cause abdominal migraines. A specific history and family history help in diagnosis. Self managing stress and healthy eating habit may prevent attacks. This is only a possibility. For exact diagnosis a complete evaluation is necessary. Do write to me again.
Best luck and kind regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Best luck and kind regards!
I'm 16 and I've been going through the same thing. After 6 months of suffering from the same symptoms as your daughter, I was diagnosed with severe gastroparesis, which is slow stomach emptying. The test for this is the gastric emptying study, where you eat an egg sandwich with radioactive dye, visible on an X-ray machine. My GI doctor has seen a lot of teenage girls with this condition. Until she is diagnosed, eliminate fat and fiber from her diet. If you think this is a possibility for your daughter, let me know and I'll share how it can be treated.
Update on my daugthers condition.  The specialist did more blood work which all came back normal.  She had an upper GI February 26th, we now have to wait for the pathologist report to come back.  When the doctor spoke with us after the procedure he only seen one spot that was was suspicious in the lower esophageal sphincter which he said was common with people that have heartburn.
Another up my daughters pathologist report came back normal.  The GI specialist has now suggest that she has functional abdominal pain and he wants her to try Periactin 3 times a day to see if that helps.  This is frustrating and i don't agree with functional abdominal pain.  Any other suggestions!!  i don'