Gastroenterology Community
Stomach pain under Ribs

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach pain under Ribs

I have a moderate stomach cramping and stabbing pain under my ribcage.  It comes and goes without warning, sometimes it is associated with naseau, sometimes not.  It is very uncomfortable.  In the past I have been diagnosed with cyclic vomiting disorder and abdominal migranes (migraines); however, this feels quite different.  
Which side is your pain on?  If it's on the right, it could be gall bladder related.  This can be VERY painful and cause nausea/vomiting.
I was going to say gallbladder as well.
Great minds think alike!
Pain is pretty central, but stronger on the left side.
Think it could be more abdominal migranes (migraines)?
I've never had abdominal migraines myself but have heard of some people who have.  I don't know if this is what's going on, but I do know that illnesses/conditions can change so a symptom you have one time may not the be the same thing you experience the next time you have the same illness/condition.  So I would say it is possible it's the abdominal migraines again.  Wht do you normally do for them?  Have you tried the same treatment and if so, has it helped?  This might be the first thing to do - if the previous treatment helps, then I would think it is a good sign that it was the migraines -- if not, then I would suggest maybe contacting either your primary physician or a gastro doc to see what they think.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
I have the same thing.  Please read my post from 1-17-10 labeled Left Sided pain.  I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but you will find that a lot people have this pain and are never able to find what is actually going on.  I had my gallbladder removed and it didn't fix anything.  Find a good GI Doc because they will become your best friend.  The best of luck to you.