Gastroenterology Community
Stomach pains after a car accident

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach pains after a car accident

My daughter 25 years old was involved in a car accident last week Tuesday (10 days ago). She sustained three fractured ribs on the left side where the front tyre pressed her and stopped after almost running over her. She is complaining of severe abdominal pains just below her chest. She says that she feels pain even when swallowing food. She feels the pain as the food crosses her chest area.

There are no other symptoms of blood in stool, pain when passing urine etc.

The hospital took xray pictures showing the rib fractures and not further examoination has been done.

What could be causing the pain and what should we do so that she can be out of pain and danger?
She needs to be re-evaluated immediately. Some injuries such as delayed rupture of a spleen or subcapsular hematoma would be common after a hit to the left ribs. This can also be caused by blood or fluid in the chest as a result of the rib fractures. Repeating a CT scan would likely be in order.
What is the remedy for blood or fluid in the chest, ruptured spleen and subcapsular hematoma? If treatment is delayed, what danger is there?

Blood or fluid in chest - drainage. Delayed rupture of a subcapsular hematoma - death.
Thank you so much for the answer. It helped me to act quickly and my daughter is now recovering well