Gastroenterology Community
Stomach problems/IBS

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach problems/IBS

I have had a CSA test done which has shown up the following:

Lacking in the following good flora:
1+ Bacteroides fragilis group
no growth - Bifidobacterium spp
1+ Clostridium spp

High levels of the following bad flora:
3+ Alpha hemolytic strep
3+ Bacillus spp, not cereus or anthracis
3+ Gamma hemolytic strep
1+ Klebsiella oxytoca

And it also says I have Many Blastocystis hominis.

I would like to know first how to kill the bad flora? Is there certain anti-biotics I can take? and then what probiotics to take to promote growth of the good flora that I am lacking.

Many Thanks

Daryl
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  This is really something you should ask your doctor about.  I highly recommend against antibiotics unless you have symptoms and they think the antibiotics will kill off the bacteria causing these symptoms.  Antibiotics will kill off all of the good bacteria too.
According to the Mayo Clinic - "Blastocystis hominis (B. hominis) is a microscopic parasite sometimes found in the stools of healthy people as well as in the stools of those who have diarrhea, abdominal pain or other gastrointestinal problems. Infection with B. hominis is called blastocystosis.

Researchers don't yet fully understand the role that B. hominis plays in causing an infection. Certain subtypes of this parasite may be more likely to cause infection, or may pose a risk only when combined with other types of infection. In some cases, the parasite simply resides in the digestive tract without causing harm.

There are no proven treatments for Blastocystis, and the infection usually clears up on its own. However, if signs and symptoms don't improve, your doctor may recommend trying medications.

Potential medications for treating blastocystis include the antibiotic metronidazole (Flagyl), the combination medication sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim (Bactrim, Septra, others), and the antiprotozoal medication iodoquinol (Yodoxin, others). However, keep in mind that response to medication for B. hominis infection varies greatly from person to person. And, because the symptoms you're having might be unrelated to blastocystis, it's also possible that any improvement may be due to the medication's effect on another organism".

If you're going to carpet bomb your system with antibiotics of this nature, it will probably be a good idea to modify your diet with some sort of probiotic supplement to ease the symptoms.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

The Blastocystis hominis isn't my biggest worry its the other bad bacteria with +3s. I'm trying to find out which is the best anti-biotic to use to carpet bomb them, I take some very strong probiotc supplements at the moments so no problems there, just need to get rid of the bad bacteria asap!
What symptoms are you having?  Even taking very strong probiotics won't necessarily counteract the negative effects of antibiotics.
A lot of bloating/stomach aches, lack of appetite and fatigue. Wake up feeling bloated everyday. I was thinking I could take anti-biotics to kill eveything, good and bad bacteria, then take the strongest probiotics available to kick start the good bacteria growth? I don't know any other way of killing the bad bacteria?
Was the place that tested you for this an alternative medicine clinic?

Do you have any problems with your stools?  Have you tried doing things like eliminating all lactose from your diet, gotten tested for celiac disease, had an endoscopy, etc.?
Yes, it was a clinic in London who send the specimens to a specialist in America. No stool problems really, yeah I have tried pretty much everything including a colonoscopy as well.
Have you tried eliminating 100% of all lactose from your diet for at least 2 weeks?  Have you had a biopsy of your small intestine to check for celiac disease or tried eliminating 100% of all gluten from your diet for at least 2 months?
Yes I haven't had milk etc in ages, had an endoscopy and several blood tests so assume they have properly checked for celiac disease. And yeah i've tried elminating all sorts of food, I have had the symptoms for over a year now so I have pretty much tried everything. After the stool test I believe the problems are coming from a lot of bad bacteria so I am trying to find the quickest and effective way of elimating them.