Gastroenterology Community
Stomach problems after car accident

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stomach problems after car accident

I have been known to have stomach issues in the past and will often have loose stools.  I have been diagnosed with IBS many years ago, but do not do anything to treat it (not sure if there really is anything to do to treat it, but avoid certain foods).  It has become part of my life, and I am very used to it now.  However, about 6 days ago I was involved in a very bad car accident that has left me with stitches in my ear, many bruises and abrasions, and I have also had much stomach pains.  After the accident, I had noticed that I was very sore and very bloated in my lower stomach area (right where my seat beat was, so maybe it was just from the bruising from the belt?).  The first couple days I was very bloated and tender in that area.  Then I started passing a lot of gas, but still constipated and not able to have a bowel movement.  I asumed it must be from all the medicines I was on - pain meds for my back and neck, motrin (which I know could have played a part in it since it is hard on stomachs), and antibiotics for the lacerations in my ear.  Im sure given that I have IBS and am taking all of these meds that that could easily be the culprit, but... I still worry that the impact on my stomach from the accident could have cause some type of bowel obstruction, or something more serious than just having a sensitive stomach.  After about 3 days and taking a stool softener, I was able to have a BM.  It was so painful, not like any pains I have had in the past, almost unbearable and I thought about going back to the hospital.  What I noticed I passed was a very pale-whiteish pulpy-like look (almost a little stringy) with little blood.  Then the next day I did not have a BM at all (which usually I go atleast once or twice a day).  Now today, I woke up with unusual pains in my lower stomach and within 45b minutes I had 3 seperate BMs, all of which showed an abundance of white mucus-like substance streaking my stool and also some that was separate from my stool accompanied with a lot of pain.  I am concerned that this could be caused from the accident, but I dont want to over react.  What do you suggest it is and should I go back to the doctor?