Gastroenterology Community
Stomach problems after gastric bypass
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stomach problems after gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery in mid-January 2010.  I'm 60 and weighed 252 at that time.  I'm a retired professional but I do consulting and adjunct college teaching.  
I attempted to go through the various eating/drinking "stages" following the surgery but had problems almost immediately.  Getting any food or liquid down has been uncomfortable, at a minimum, ranging to quite painful - and the discomfort/pain can last hours!  I'm now beyond the last stage and should be able to eat/drink most anything (except sugar, etc.) and I can barely eat even a forkful of food without pain.  I'm miserable, angry and I couldn't care less about my weight loss, 50+ lbs.  I can't eat or drink without pain!  I want to be able to enjoy food again, even at the much smaller amounts with my smaller stomach!
I've had two endoscopies in the last 4 or 5 weeks - they showed my stomach was "red", "irritated" and I was prescribed Carafate and Previcid after the first endoscopy, then Aciphex after the second one.  Nothing helps.  Nothing has changed.
I keep thinking I should have the surgery reversed.  I understand that's difficult but do-able - especially with a surgeon that specializes in gastric bypass reversals.  But that scares me because I understand it doesn't always work.  Again, I really don't care much about the weight loss - Even when I don't eat or drink anything, my stomach is always hurting a little - always!
Meanwhile, I AM able to function, for the most part, teach, consult, take care of responsibilities, etc.  I'm not incapacitated, but again, I'm truly miserable.  This is NOT how I'm supposed to feel nor what I bargained for when I decided to have this surgery!
Any thoughts?