Gastroenterology Community
Stomache burning, nausea, bowel problems

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

4 weeks ago I became sick with a severe burning in my abdomen and was having a lot of nausea. I was in the ER twice and was referred to a gastroenterologist. I was given an endoscopy first and a small hiatal hernia was found. I was then given a ultrasound of the right quadrants and also a HIDA scan on my gallbladder. Both of those came back normal. I started to get better for about 4 days, then the burning returned with the other symptoms.(shorness of breath,pain in my righ ribs,right back,nausea,burning,bowel problems, along with blood in my stool.) I am now waiting for the results of the CT scan that I had on Thursday. It was on the abdomen and pelvic region. I feel like this GI doctor is a waste of my time and I have all ready lost 20lbs...I only weigh 115 now and I am 5'2"..so I am not overweight and wasn't before. I am a naturally tan person and my pigment is more pale now and I just feel weak and really bad constantly. I have missed quite a bit of work and school. PLEASE HELP!!! Another thing that might or might not be linked is that for the past 1 1/2 years my menstral cycle has been irregular. Is there anything in that region that may be causing these problems?? Just curious. My mom had cervical cancer and also died of breast cancer that spread. My father died of heart disease. They both passed away at 40. I am only 22! Until now I have had no health problems and I just want to feel normal again! Any suggestions???
Hi, i am 17, male, in Highschool.  I have pretty much the same symptoms, aside from an irregular period of course.  I have terrible stomach pains, my ribs hurt, a few weeks ago i would have burning bowels, now it's like im constipated and very hard for me to goto the bathroom, but when i do, it's a dark black color - which im pretty sure means there's blood in it.  I'm just in alot of pain, i don't know what exactly is wrong with me, or what to do, i have not seen anyone nor told anyone yet.
I do know that anytime you have black(which is usually blood)you should contact a doctor asap. If you have had any Peptobismol(however you spell that), then that can cause black in your stool also. Constipation can lead to irritation and blood(so the doc has said), so I think you should see someone becore things get worse!
wow, thanks that helps a ton!  My stomach pains have gotton alot better, and i have been taking tons and tons of pepmobismal in the past week for my stomach, and now i'm taknig fiber suppliments, medimucil and it makes it so much easier, and now i really shouldnt have to worry bout the black, so i'll wait a wweek without takin pepmobismal and see what happens.
Had every test done.  All normal.  Still have gallbladder symptoms.  Thought maybe it is IBS, but they both have similar symptoms, yet abdominal bloating and pain is right side.  The IBS only occurs when attacks happen
Dr. just told me I have IBS today. I am somewhat relieved that there is finally a name for what I am experiencing, but knowing that it is a chronic disorder is kind of disturbing. I know that I have been totally stressed about all of this for the last 7 weeks and have been so miserable. I got put on prozac for the stress and to relieve symptoms of the IBS and I was put on an acid blocker for the heartburn. I also was given a nausea medicine to take before bed. All these are to be taken for six weeks and then I go back for an update. I HOPE THIS **** WORKS!! If anyone has any good pointers for IBS relief, please share!
Kat
Hi, glad you are getting some answers, can you tell me how they diagnosed the ulcerative colitis??  Was it thru a colonoscopy??
Also has anybody ever swallowed one of those new tiny camera's that look at your small intestine's??...........goergie
If your symptoms keep up,I would go to diff dr.I also have some of your symptoms.Last 7 months have had chronic abdominal/pelvic/rectal pain,burning painful bowel movement with tons of nausea and bleeding from rectum,felt like my gut was being stabbed and on fire.Was told at 16 had ibs but i never had this much pain in past with ibs or episodes last for so long,I'am 28 now.Generally ibs dont send people to the er,or have profound weight loss,it can be annoying,but episodes dont last for that long.In april I was in hospital for 3 days..thought it was gallbladder but wasnt.Had endoscopy,colonoscopy (inflammation) dr insisted it was endometriosis and ibs.Had laparscopy in Aug,no endometriosis found.Now new dr nailed it down..ulcerative colitis! I lost ALOT of weight (220lbs to 135lbs now) due to the pain and nausea.
     If you still continue to have your symptoms seek out diff dr and push for more procedures.I knew this was more than IBS.IBS for some people can be chronic,usually its episodes triggered by diet or stress.Take care
I had colonoscopy in april that showed mild inflammation then,but old dr blew it off as ibs..,new dr wants to do another one soon,he is suspects by my symptoms its colitis.I was wondering about the camera's too,virtual colonoscopy,I will ask my dr about it.I had barium x ray of small bowel,chroans is ruled out.I think they can test  for colitis with barium enema too..eccck,dunno which is worse..colonscopy or enema..lol.
Hey KAT112683,

Did the doctor say anything about why nausea accompanied the IBS? I seem to have similar symptoms, but I figured IBS was constant diarrhea? I don't have the constant diarrhea, only sometimes, most of the time it's just burning in the stomach and the feeling that something is in my throat. Reflux??
IBS is a condition with the large intestines. It can cause diarrhea, constipation, nausea, anxiety, and much more. I do have bad heartburn problems too. IBS can also cause your menstral cycle to be more painful. I have had IBS for probably 3 years and didn't realize it until it got really bad almost 2 months ago. It is no fun and life altering! I feel bad for anyone going through what I have been experiencing! If anyone has any pointers on coping with IBS please inform me!
have been experiencing a dull pain in my left quadrant of my stomache which sometimes extends down into my groin area.  i also experience mild constipation but not on a day to day basis.  my other symptoms include severe and i mean severe flagellation. please help as i have visited the urologists as i thought it was do to an physical injury, and i also visited a general doctor because its hard to schedule an appointment with a gastro here in the 757

please help!