Gastroenterology Community
Stool formation

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stool formation

I am currently in remission from APLeukemia (Aug 2008), M3 type and cured from Hodgkin's Lymphoma (Sept 2001).  The last couple of days I have been having more than loose stools.  I had gotten Colitis earlier this summer while being treated for APL.  This evening my stools resembled coffee grains, dark brown in color.  What could this be?
Avatar n tn
Did you undergo any colonoscopy when you were diagnosed with colitis or has the diagnosis just been symtom based? Did they find any ulcers that were biopsied?

Based on one single instance its hard to say that your stool had blood in it (if that is what you fear) although its not uncommon for colitis patients to get blood in the stool. While a stool test is the only definitive way to tell if there is any blood present, stool color could change due to a variety of reasons. I would suggest that you just wait and watch. If it happens again, talk to your physician or GI who will very likely prescribe a stool exam.