Gastroenterology Community
Stool that smells like moth balls & constipation

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

My son will soon turn 3.  He has suffered from constipation ever since he started on solid foods.  Per Dr.'s recommendation, we have given him Miralax, but even that does not seem to make him regular and it's not necessarily easier for him to have bm's.  Whenever he has a bm that's hard to pass, I notice that it smells very strongly like moth balls.  It doesn't always happen, but it does only seem to happen when he has the hard to pass stool.  This is of concern to me because it has been going on for about 2 years.  Any ideas of what could be causing his stool to smell like moth balls?