Gastroenterology Community
Stools that look like dark old car oil, no smell, just burns really bad...

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Stools that look like dark old car oil, no smell, just burns really bad.

I am 48 year old white female. I had my gallbladder removed 2 years ago. I have several bouts of a urgent release of a dark oil liquid, I would not call them stools. It has no smell, but burns like it could be straight bile. I also have stomach cramps. After the episode I am very tired and fatigue and soar, both my bottom and stomach had a scope in march to confirm I have Gerd and a colonoscopy 2 1/2 years ago.  My doctors seems lost and not  able to give me an answer on what could be causing it. I believe it is connected to eating to much fatty foods  at one time, which I do occasionally. Like fries and fried zucchini.  Normally I am a pretty healthy eater. I don't think it is blood because there is no smell.

This discussion is related to Oily Stools, Diarrrhea, and Blood in Stool.
Tags: stool
After gallbladder removal, bile constantly flows into intestine, and it sometimes can't be absorbed totaly, so it is excreted. It's very likely, it's bile. This often happens after gb removal.

There is a drug cholestiramin (e.g. Colestol) which binds excessive bile in the intestine. Some people report, that it is of great help, some can't take it due to side effects.
Thanks for the feedback, I agree that it may be bile. I did check out the med and I think I would rather pass. I have difficulty taking any medicines. I can only take 1 Tylenol at a time. If I take two, I will get real restless. I have found out that it is better for me to adjust to the issue then to medicate, there is no extra side effects.

Thanks again,
Debi
Hey, wait!

Cholestiramine is not for everyone, but there is some food which may bind to bile and act as that drug.

Oatmeal contain soluble fibers and binds to bile. Fibers, as ground flax-seeds, colloidal bentonite, and psyllium may also help. Search for other "soluble fibers". Also serach for "bile acid sequestrants".

Active charcoal also bind bile acids.