Gastroenterology Community
Stopping prevacid and having side effects

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello, i am hoping someone out there has had the same symptoms as me?? Its odd. In July i was having some swallowing problems or thought i was and they did an EGD and found nothing but a VERY tiny hiatal hernia. My stomach lining was nice and pink. I had been taking prevacid for two weeks prior to the EGD due to the trouble swallowing NOW i want to stop taking the prevacid and every time i try i get really sick. I get weak, nauseaus and for a day or two i literally go to the bathroom constantly and have loose yellow stools with stomach cramps. I went to the doctor and she thought it might be IBS but it doesnt happen unless i quit taking the prevacid for a couple of days!! Has anyone experienced this? If so, what did you do to stop it???
Thanks!
I was on prevacid for about a week or two, then I noticed that I was getting really tired and on Monday night, I was having slurred speech, really tired, weak, feeling depressed and anxious I couldn't sleep at all Monday night, and I was really confused. and I was only taking 15mg once a day.
How high is your dosage, and how long have you been on prevacid.
When I noticed my symptoms on Monday I stopped taking it.
set96
Kris, the medication basically tries to shut down the acid pumps in your stomach and when you stop it cold turkey, those pumps can turn on to cause 'rebound reflux' in some individuals. If you're going to come off it, you may have to step it down slowly and then transition to histamine meds for reflux before you can completely stop taking anything.

Some people can do it quickly, others can't.
I am curious about the upper endoscopy to evaluate swallowing difficulty. This would usually be better evaluated with a contrast study to look at the function of the esophagus. Has the original problem gone away? If not, what else has been looked at? As for your symptoms on discontinuation of the Prevacid, it might be worth switching to an H2 blocker such as Pepcid or Zantac for a week or two to lessen the acid suppression but maintain a little.