Gastroenterology Community
Strong Upper Stomach Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Strong Upper Stomach Pain

Hi, I'm a 32 y/o male.  I started having moderate pain in my upper abdomen 5 days ago after dinner.  The pain began suddenly.  At first I thought it was heartburn or indegestion, but I could not relieve the pain with antacids.  The pain persisted through the next day, despite liquid antacids and zantec.  I went to see the dr. on the thrid day.  She suspected gallstones and sent me for tests.  The ultrasound and blood tests came back OK.

On the next day I was referred for a gallbladder ejection fraction test.  My ejection fraction came back at 56%, though I had pain during the ejection portion of the test.  I know that a normal ejection fraction is anything greater than 35%.

My question is, what else could it be?  The pain seems to be getting worse.  It woke me up from a sound sleep at 5:00 this morning.  That episode was the worst yet, I was doubled over in pain and considered going to the emergency room.  I took the pain medicine I was given during my first doctor's visit, and after an hour the pain calmed down.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!  Any suggestions on next tests, etc...
sphincter of oddi dysfunction,possible esophageal spasms...possible ulcer..lots of possibilities!
I had a similar pain that landed me in the ER. After rulling out a blood clot or heart attack, they diagnosed it as esophageal spasms and prescribed me a low dose of Xanex to relax the muscle when an attack occurs. The next time it happened, the Xanex helped very quickly. My spasms came in waves with a few minutes rest between the attacks. I would scream and scrunch up grabbing my chest trying to breath. The attacks I had after that day were not as serious. Either that or I cut off a full blown attack with the Xanex. I'd recomend seeing a GI doctor and discus testing a muscle relaxant out. As far as what causes these attacks, no one has ever given me a clear answer. It just sort of happens.