Gastroenterology Community
Strong Upper Stomach Pain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Strong Upper Stomach Pain

Hi, I'm a 32 y/o male.  I started having moderate pain in my upper abdomen 5 days ago after dinner.  The pain began suddenly.  At first I thought it was heartburn or indegestion, but I could not relieve the pain with antacids.  The pain persisted through the next day, despite liquid antacids and zantec.  I went to see the dr. on the thrid day.  She suspected gallstones and sent me for tests.  The ultrasound and blood tests came back OK.

On the next day I was referred for a gallbladder ejection fraction test.  My ejection fraction came back at 56%, though I had pain during the ejection portion of the test.  I know that a normal ejection fraction is anything greater than 35%.

My question is, what else could it be?  The pain seems to be getting worse.  It woke me up from a sound sleep at 5:00 this morning.  That episode was the worst yet, I was doubled over in pain and considered going to the emergency room.  I took the pain medicine I was given during my first doctor's visit, and after an hour the pain calmed down.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated!  Any suggestions on next tests, etc...
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
701334_tn?1262857103
sphincter of oddi dysfunction,possible esophageal spasms...possible ulcer..lots of possibilities!
Blank
177554_tn?1256357393
I had a similar pain that landed me in the ER. After rulling out a blood clot or heart attack, they diagnosed it as esophageal spasms and prescribed me a low dose of Xanex to relax the muscle when an attack occurs. The next time it happened, the Xanex helped very quickly. My spasms came in waves with a few minutes rest between the attacks. I would scream and scrunch up grabbing my chest trying to breath. The attacks I had after that day were not as serious. Either that or I cut off a full blown attack with the Xanex. I'd recomend seeing a GI doctor and discus testing a muscle relaxant out. As far as what causes these attacks, no one has ever given me a clear answer. It just sort of happens.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...