Gastroenterology Community
Sudden, sharp, stabbing pain in upper left quadrant under ribcage.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I've been experiencing sudden, sharp, stabbing like pain in my upper left quadrant under my ribcage. That acts up primarially when I am under stress and is relieved if I move back into a streched out position, but can then leave me sore around my waist area on both sides until the psychological stress is reduced, or I sleep and feel better the next day.

A few years ago I was in a serious accident where I fell from a ladder and broke/fractured my left ribcage in 20 places.

This stabbing pain feels like something sharp is stabbing me internally and I have to wonder if it's related to the possiblity that my floating rib or ribcage could have something to do with it (outside of the obvious symptom increase when I am stressed).

I am also tapering off of a Benzo that my doctor put me on (for about 6 months before I decided the side effect outweighted the benefits- one of which was serious constipation)  to help deal with rolling panic attacks.

I still have challenges with constipation but occurs less often since I have tapered 10 times from 2mgs of Clonezepam to .75mg's and still tapering.

My question: Are these symptoms likely just stress related since leaning back alleviates the problem rather rapidly, I have no fevor before or after the attacks and the only other symptom..(When I have 3 or 4 attacks in a day ~ before a stressful situtation)  is soreness around my waistline?

And what can I do to help reduce this symptom if it is likely stress related?
I would also like to add that ~ if I bend over towards the left, or move in a particular way .. I get this same sudden stabbing problem such as move my left arm up my back to pull up a zipper or lean over to the left to pick something up .. or knee bend put any real strain on the muscles around my leftside waistline..
The reason I am asking in this forum is that it appears obvious to me that the problem has to do with my intestines or large bowel just prior to it making the final loop that descends downward into the last part of my colon.
I would also like to add that I do not have black stools, I sometimes have a ruddish clay colored stool and I am still dealing with some constipation when my stool appears clay like in color and then it returns to a normal brown coloring.