Gastroenterology Community
Sudden bloating and gas -- a contagious virus?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

For over a month, everyone in my family has been experiencing extreme gas and bloating. It started 5-6 weeks ago, when all my family members except for myself developed a sudden onset of diarrhea or vomiting. Their diarrhea was severe at times.

About a week afterwards, I started experiencing extreme bloating and gas. I figured it would pass since I'm young and have never had any serious health issues. A week later, the gas persisted, and I saw a doctor to get blood work done (liver function, etc.), and to test for intestinal parasites. Everything came back normal or negative. The doctor said the gas might be due to a virus, and the symptoms should disappear by themselves. Two weeks later with no improvement, I went back to the same doctor and requested an h. pylori test. That too came back negative.

My family members have felt better lately, and are now only dealing with the gas. One of my parents' acquaintances recently traveled to a foreign country, and subsequently suffered a bout of bad food poisoning upon their return. They gave my parent a small snack to eat, which we suspect may have carried some type of virus, bacteria, or parasite. Then it somehow spread to the rest of us (the rest of us did not eat any of the snack). Is that possible? Otherwise, what could cause these abdominal symptoms in all of us at the exact same time? Sometimes, I feel the area between my rib cage and belly button pulsating, but I suppose that's just due to gas.

It's been over a month since my symptoms began. Please help! I'm at my wit's end and this is causing me a lot of anxiety. Thank you in advance!
If you are really worried about it try some good Probiotics and eating garlic.  That should "kill"  anything causing your problem.  Also, in case it's parasites, drink apple cider vinegar (about 1 teaspoon in 8 oz. of water) everyday.  The good probiotics are expensive at the health food store - but they are worth it if it helps.  (Don't forget to take an insulated lunch pail with ice packs to bring it home).  Garlic kills worms.  Eat a garlic clove at least once or twice a day.  You may smell like garlic bread - but it might just work!