Gastroenterology Community
Sudden change in bowel color & consistency

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I am a 31-year old African-American woman of average health and physical fitness. I have 3 children and stay pretty active as a result of them. Over the past few weeks, I noticed a change in my bowel movements. Lately, there is no more continuity in terms of its consistency - rather, it is in pellet-like form. It is also very dark in color, dark green to be exact. At first I thought it was perhaps something I ate but when the change persisted, I started to become worried.

I had my annual physical 2 weeks ago and found out that my white blood cell count was low. Last year it was also low and I was sent to a hematologist - further tests revealed that it was nothing of concern and simply low WBC due to my ethnicity (my mother has the same issue). But because the count had dropped more, I was referred to another hematologist this year as well and so far the same diagnosis stands. They are testing my blood further for nutrional deficiencies or any types of blood disorders, but at first glance the doctor feels that I am fine.

I am pretty good about watching what I eat, I take in fruits and veggies just about ever day, and make effort to drink enough water every day. Does anyone know of a reason why this may be happening? And could there be any correlation between my low WBC and the change in my bowels? Any information or advice would be much appreciated!
Have you started taking extra iron and or multivitamins lately? Iron can cause green colored stools and can cause the pellets due to constipation (a common side effect of iron).