Gastroenterology Community
Sulfur burps, crampy stomach?

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Sulfur burps, crampy stomach?

The past day I've had sulfur burps, I haven't had them in a few years and even when I did it wasn't often, but I do remember I never got sick after having them. The smell of sulfur doesn't really bother me so I just went about my day. about 6:00am this morning I had to get out of bed because my stomach was killing me. It felt almost like I was really hungry. I sat in the bathroom for a while sipping cool water, downing a few peppermint Tums and eating some saltines. Usually when my stomach is upset I'll do this and try some deep breathing and it'll be fine after 20 minutes or so. I was sort of okay for a while so I tried to get back to sleep but it's just persisting.

I was able to go number 2 when I first went into the bathroom and later I did have really really mild diarrhea. My stomach just feels like it needs to let out burps/is really hungry. Does anyone have any suggestions to help? I don't really want to go to the doctor if I don't have to. I do have health insurance but the co-pay really isn't in our budget right now.
Hi there!

This could be a sign of infection (bacterial/ parasitic), increased protein intake with slow gastric emptying/ distention, inflammations, motility disorders etc. You could try increasing the fiber content of the diet along with drinking plenty of water to keep the body adequately hydrated. If the symptoms do not seem to subside with this; you may consider an evaluation for the above mentioned causes, by a primary care physician or a gastroenterologist. After a cause is established, it can be treated accordingly.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
.These sulpher burps are a result of taking acid blockers like Tagamet , Pepsid, etc. Since they block the production of stomach acid, the food does not get broken down and digested properly.  Also the stomach acid kills the bacteria in the food. Now the food rots in your stomach causing burps and then it goes through your intestimes not digested or with bacteria therefore causing the vomiting and diarrhea. Just go back to taking a couple of Tums now and then when the acid is too much. .