Sulfur smelling burps with vomiting
I have had a problem for approx 3 years (i dont see a patern). I will burp up a sulfur smell (without reflux) and after about 4 hours of these nasty burps I will start vomiting and dry heaving (about every 30 minutes for 6-8 hours). After that, I feel better untill the next bout occurs which can be weeks or months. I have a colicky feeling in my stomach that usually dosnt produce flatus almost always (wheither or not the burping episodes are going on) but other than that, there is no abdominal pain associated except for the vomiting. No diarrhea associated with it. I suppose I should say for the record that I havnt been eating eggs or anything containing eggs or sulfur. My doctor reccomended calcium antacids, which neither prevent or stop it from happening. I have no food alergies, I am not on long term antibiotic therapy, I eat a healthy diet and do not lay down after eating. I havnt had any recent surgeries. I do have a family history of acid reflux, gallstones, hiatal(spelling) hernia, peptic ulcer and high cholesterol. Does anyone have any ideas? What diagnostic tests should I ask for? Is there anything else important to say that I am leaving out? Please help!
this is jentpf again, i forgot to say that I cant find a pattern with stress or with any types of foods or medicines-it seems to happen with / without any cause (that I have thought of--MORE THAN HAPPY for ideas!)
Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  How old are you?  Did you have any GI problems as a kid?  Does this happen at a certain time during the day?
I'm in the same boat as you. Every weekend for about 4 months I was noticing the nasty burbs, a sour stomach...then hours after I would throw up and have loose stools or one or the other...was worse when It was both at the same time. It wasn't my gallbladder. So my doctor did tests for H. Ployri...and I tested positive. So I was taking a triple therapy treatment with consists of antibiotics. My doctor also prescribed Prevacid, which seemed to help. I stopped taking Prevacid because I was feeling better. Two weeks later I was vomiting, burping and had very watery stools. So it seems like I have to continue taking this Prevacid. Tomorrow I have an another appointment with my doctor. I want to discuss if I'm going to need taking this medication forever and if there are other alternatives. BTW, I'm female and 44....not sure if age or gender has anything to do with this "disease".
I've had giardiasis for years now. The main symptom is weight loss despite eating a lot and constipation. A doctor found it last year and I took tonDaze 1 time 2000 milligrams. Started gaining weight right away. Then started losing weight again. It took another year before they found it again through giardiasis antigen test. Took tinadazole again this time nothing happened. The symptoms got worse. I have now been tested again with a positive result again. At this point I feel like I'm never going to get rid of it waiting for gastroenterologist  to tell
me what to do next.   Help