Gastroenterology Community
Sulphur smelling burps and excessive gas! Yuck!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Every few months or so this happens to me. Yesterday. It seems to come out of nowhere. I woke up yesterday morning, and felt a bit nauseated..belched a few times...and recognized the sulphur smell..and remembering the last time, when it was SO bad..I thought "oh no..."....and sure enough...within an hour I was belching those horrid belches, stomach was just rumbling constantly..felt sick...and I knew I was in for a miserable day. Last time I vomited in the middle of the night, after a full day of that sulphur stuff. I took GasX..didnt eat...and it just contined all day. Since all I had the day before was a chicken salad at a restaurant ( where we go for that same salad almost every Saturday and it hasnt done this), I couldnt believe the amount of gas I had.
In October of last year, I had a COMPLETE abdominal checkout. Upper and Lower Ultrasound..and then both a colonoscopy and endoscopy...and all were normal...so the chances of it being anything "major" are about non existant.
The last time I had this was about 2 months ago.
Now today I wake up feeling nauseaous again..some belching, and just feel...drained.
Ive read that people try Pepto bismol....? Anybody have this same problem? I finally tried Alka Seltzer last night, out of desperation, and it eliminated the gas for a LITTLE while...enough time that I could take in some fluids and not get too dehydrated. I did NOT vomit this time...YET....
Anybody else have this weird thing?
I feel your pain! I too am in the same boat. At the moment I am suffering with the sulphur burps which came first, then about 6 hours later excessive bouts of wind and I'm not talking normal amounts either. I'm talking loud and long like I didn't know I had that much in me. My stomach is non stop growling and then the diahrrea started! I have had this twice before first time was like this without the excessive wind and docs gave me antibiotics. Second time was very aggressive vomiting, diahrrea and sulphur burps. At times I was sat on the toilet with a bucket on my lap. Docs told me it was Gastroenteritis and it will pass but it got so bad that I had to call out on call doc at 5am. They gave me meds to ease diahrrea and anti-sickness. This time I haven't made it to docs as its a Saturday so I have no choice but to let it run its course. Wish I knew what caused it though! :(