Gastroenterology Community
Surgical Clip/Gallbladder Removal

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Surgical Clip/Gallbladder Removal

Is it common for surgical clips to move after having your gallbladder removed?  I had one found inmy uterus and it caused endometriosis.  I just am concerned that if the clip had a purpose and it is not serving it now.  Should I be concerned?
I would be!  That's scary.  How did you know one ended up in your uterus anyway?
I had been having alot of pain and the doctors kept telling em it was my ovaries.  My doctor said that he wanted to go in and take a look at everything and he found the clip there.  It was causing the problems I was having.
Thanks for answering my question.  Now I hope you get an answer to your original question (sorry, if I interferred).
The clips are typically used to seal off the end of the cystic duct - the tube leading from the common bile duct to the gallbladder. They're not supposed to fall off, but sometimes do well after the cystic duct is sealed off. If the doc found no evidence of bile in the area of where your gallbladder used to be, the cystic duct is sealed, and will cause no problems.
Thank you so much for the response.  The doctor didn't say that is was sealed off or not.  Do you know what the symptoms areif the cystic duct is not sealed?  Everyone wnats me to get an attorney but I don't think that will do anything because the clip was suppose to be left.
Since the cystic duct branches off the common bile duct, if it was not sealed you'd end up with fluid in the area of where the gallbladder previously was, and probably an infection. Symptoms could vary, I believe. The best way to find out is to ask the doc if any fluid or problems were seen in the area of the gallbladder, or if you should be scanned to see if anything is amiss in that area.

However, if the surgery was done several years ago, and you haven't had any problems in the area of the gallbladder it would suggest that the duct sealed long before the clip came off.

You can check with an attorney, but I doubt that anything would come of it - but that's just my opinion.