Gastroenterology Community
Swallowed a fish bone

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Swallowed a fish bone

About 10 days ago I got sick and was eating a soup with fish and vegetables.  I was very hungry when eating my meal that I accidently swallowed a fish bone. At first it got stuck in my throat, but i couldn't cough it up so I decided to swallow it down.  Each time I swallowed, it was painful.  I'm afraid that it caused damaged to my esophagus and/or to any other parts of my digestive track.  Will it damage my intestines or be the cause of bigger consequences?  I've checked my stools to see if it has come out yet, but haven't noticed anything.  Is it possible that it's stuck inside me? I don't have health insurance.  What should I do?
It might have damaged your esophagus.  It is very very unlikely that it damaged anything else.  Many people swallow fish bones without even knowing and are totally fine.  It is unlikely that it is still stuck inside you and you probably just missed seeing it in your stools.  If it still hurts to swallow you need to see a doctor.  If it doesn't hurt to swallow anymore it is not urgent to see a doctor.