Gastroenterology Community
Symptoms of Bile Duct Obstruction

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Symptoms of Bile Duct Obstruction

In am a 54 year old male, and several weeks ago I had flu-like symtoms (symptoms) such as vomitiing, low grade fever, etc. Another member of my faimily had similar symptoms after eating peppers on a sandwich at a fast food resturant.  We initially thought this might be food posoning.  However, in my case afrter nearly a month the flu-like symtoms (symptoms) did not dissappear, and later I developed jaundice, dark urine and a rash.  My doctor performed blood tests that revealed high liver enzimes amd Billirubin levels.  The jaudice and rash have since almost dissappeared however, I still feel sick after eating, and am not seeing much improvement in this area.  So my question is,as follows. Do the symtoms (symptoms) listed above indicate a bile duct obstruction ?    If so what may cause this obstructiton?   By the way, my gall bladder was removed 20 years ago, so I don't think the possible obstruction could be a gall stone.
David, stones can form even if a gallbladder is only a past memory. You need to see your doc and get checked out. It's possible that a non-invasive MRCP may give you some answers as to whether or not there's something obstructing your common bile duct. In the meantime, you may want to avoid fatty foods to see if it will be of help.

Thanks for your advice.  I have an appointment with the doc on Wednesday 8/6.  However, I don't understand why my jaudice has dissappeared if indeed I have a bile duct blockage such as a gallstone.  I am still have difficulty eating anything but small and light portions of food without felling notious.  Since this happened suddenly, I wonder whether it had anything to do with food poisoning.

Thanks for your help.
Actually my greatest fear is the possibility of pancreatic cancer since this is also a common cause of Jandice.
Everyone's greatest fear when something happens in 'this area' is of pancreatic cancer, but tht's not typically the case. The problems are more often due to problems in the common bile duct.

The obstruction could be due to something that seems so 'simple' - a spasm. And spasms happen an awful lot if the bile duct is irritated, even after a stone is gone. Jaundice can come and go. You have to reach a 'certain level' before it starts showing visually. Meanwhile the levels can still be high in the blood and the urine, unfortuantely.

Try to stick to very, very low fat foods and stay away from any dairy products. It may be of help.
Thank you for the information and help.  It provides the right perspective on my health problem.  During the past month I have been very worried about the outcome of this situation. Some of the onformation on the internet can be down right scary. I think to some degree you have put my mind at ease.  

I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist on Wednesday 8/6.  

Again.....thanks for your help.
The cause of my jaundice is still a mystery.  My gastroenterologist ordered a C-SCAN XRAY which did not reveal a bile duct blockage.  Instead it seems that the situation resolved itself since my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels are now normal. I can eat almost anything, and no longer feel notious.

My doctor speculated that this illness may have been the Epstein Barr Virus.  Can this virus cause jaundice?  Do I need to do any further investigation?
Epstein Barr can cause jaundice. At this point if your doc believes that it may have 'run it's course' and if nothing else appears, then you'll probably be fine. I'm glad to hear that you doing a lot better.