Gastroenterology Community
TUMOR IN THE TAIL OF THE PANCREAS

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

TUMOR IN THE TAIL OF THE PANCREAS

My husband was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis.  He had a 1.4 cm lesion in the tail of his pancreas.  After a fine need biopsy it was decided that the "lesion" was non-cancerous and just needed to be watched.  Now, 4 months later the "lesion" is 3.4 cm.  We went to the Mayo clinic for a second opinion and they are saying it is a tumor, most like malignant.  This diagnosis by the Mayo Clinic is based only on a CT scan.  Wouldn't the fine needle aspiration be more accurate than a CT scan?  We now have two differing opinions and are more confused than ever.  I would appreciate any light you can shine on this subject for me.  Thank you!

Hi - look the last thing I want to do is to frighten you - but if your husband is unfortunate enough to have developed pancreatic cancer then there is a new technique which enhances the survivability of this rather "low survival" type of cancer - as I am sure you will ascertain from the internet sites that you may choose to study.

Basically it involves cutting out the portion of the portal vein near the site of the pancreas and replacing it with a portion of the jugular vein.

A UK hospital gives a brief description as follows:

- type into google/yahoo etc:-  www.royalfree.org.uk

(the hospital is the Royal Free in London)

- then in the serach box at the top left hand side type in pancreatic cancer

- then click on the first "news archive" paragraph.

I don't know from where you submitted your posting - I am sure that this procedure is recognised at the May Clinics in the USA - but in case it is not known at the hospital you attend, it would be a terrible shame for your husband  to miss out on this new treatment if, otherwise, he would benefit from the technique.

Good luck and I hope that the eventual diagnosis is as favourable as possible.

regards
Morecambe
I had a cyst on the head of my pancreas, they aspirated and I ended up with necrotizing pancreaitis. I think only 2% (somone else gave that number) end up withy complications. Talk witht he surgeons and get al the info you can get.

Good Luck.
Morecambe, thank you for the information!  Stevenscott, thank you for your comment, gives me some hope!