Gastroenterology Community
Tailbone Pain

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Tailbone Pain

I was sitting in a chair at home a few weeks ago for probably 6 hours straight.  I woke up the next morning and my hips, glutes and tailbone were hurting.  My hips and glues recovered but my tailbone still continues to bother me even after 3 weeks.  It seems to be disturbing my bowel movements as far a frequency.  Actually sometimes when I have to have a bowel movement it will make my tailbone hurt more and then after I have the bowel movement, it brings me relief from the tailbone pain.

I have had this problem before and the doctor told me it was recurring proctitis and to get a colonoscopy done.  I know that proctitis is inflammation of the rectum and I also know the main cause of proctitis is anal intercourse and I know that I am for sure not doing that!  I did the colonoscopy and there was nothing wrong.  They took biopsies and noticed a very minor irritation in the colon.

What I am wondering is if I have actually bruised my tailbone from sitting for a long period of time and probably most likely sitting incorrectly in the chair... would that have bruised my tailbone?  Also would the bruising or pain or irritation or whatever is going on with my tailbone be disturbing my ability to have bowel movements?  Could a bruised, irritated tailbone cause proctitis like symptoms?  As of now the bowel movements are kind of weak and not much comes out.  With that being said I am sometimes going 6 times a day or sometimes I will feel like I have to go but then nothing comes out when I try.

I am pretty sure it is not constipation because I have been constipated before when I had too much vicodin after getting my wisdom teeth pulled.  Yikes that sucked :)
I only have these bowel problems when my tailbone is irritated.  The doctor has also checked my prostate before... and he said it was fine.

I just recently saw my chiropractor as well and he was not sure if the irritated tailbone would affect my bowel movements or not but he for sure did tell me to not sit in that chair anymore!

This is probably the 6th time in 8 years that this has happened to me and it is kind of a mystery to me and I cant stand the fact that I really do not know what is going on.

Well, maybe this is worth a shot...check out Pilonidal (or pylonidal) Cyst.  It's a cyst that occurs at the base of the tailbone (coccyx) and as far back as WWII, a very large amount of men developed them from the bumpy, lengthy rides in their jeeps and I believe it was called "Jeep Syndrome!"

They are very painful, and are sometimes able to be felt as a small lump, almost like a large pimple, at the end of your tailbone yet others are deeper and unable to be felt.  I had one years and years ago and it would get very aggravated after sitting for lengths of time in not-so-well padded chairs.

Hope this might be helpful
yeah that is a good idea.  The weird thing is... The chair i was sitting in was a chair i used to sit on for hours on end just a few months ago.

Thanks for the Info