Gastroenterology Community
Taking care of recurring anal fistula

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Taking care of recurring anal fistula

I had a fistulotomy around two years ago for an anal fistula. I suffered with it for about six months before the surgery. The surgery was successful and I thought i was cured completely as the infection was drained. It took about a month to recover to completely but i was pretty normal after that for about a year. But in March this year a throbbing pain started right under the operation wound. I went to the same doctor again and she gave me antibiotics. the throbbing continued for a week and then she suggested a Sonography to verify if there was pus and debris under the wound. There was and she took it out with a syringe. I immediately felt better after that until now. But the same problem started again yesterday and I am pretty sure it is the same thing. Can anyone help me in countering this problem. I am really depressed and scared of this whole business. I am scared that I will have to live my entire life in a constant threat of the fistula recurring. Are there any major lifestyle changes required to make sure it does not recur. Please Help!
I'm sorry you are going through this. I have two rectal-vaginal fistulas and it has been hard to deal with.

First off, do you have a medical reason for getting the fistula or are you healthy otherwise? The usual treatment is to treat the underlying problem. I know it ***** that the fistulectomy failed! I've been there.
Are you seeing a colorectal surgeon? Have you ever had setons placed before? It is kind of like a soft rubbery ring that allows the fistula to drain, preventing continual abscess. That's what I would ask for. It doesn't hurt after a day or so and you get used to it. If you aren't having diarrhea, nothing should drain out of it once it's cleaned out initially, which is great. Is it visible? Yes...but I think it is worth it, especially right now because abscesses can cause sepsis...an infection in the blood, and you don't need that! If you want to hear more about the setons, feel free to ask away!
I don't have them now because I have an ileostomy, but I wore setons 3 years and the fistula tracts are still there. They just don't come into contact with stool!
Thanks for replying. I know this is recurring because the fistula tracts are still present and ofcourse they come in contact with stools because never had that 'seton' thing placed. I sort of know the infection is recurring because of the contact with stools.
in my medical history there was never a problem there, the fistula just started. After the fistulotomy the doctor had just left the wound wide open to let the infection drain away. I used to take sitz baths then.
Do you think i should ask the doctor about these setons? Will it help? Again thanks a lot for all the help. It is much appreciated.
And no, she is not a colorectal surgeon, she's just a normal surgeon. I should go to one you think?
Hi. Yes, you should definitely go to one. Setons should have probably been the first thing they did. If you don't have any colorectal surgeons around ask your surgeon to consult with one about setons. They make a huge difference.
You can message me if you want to talk more about it!