Teen with rectal bleeding
Our 13 year old son started having  bright red rectal bleeding and mucous with his bowel movements along with stomach pain near his belly button approx. 4 weeks ago. His stools have mainly been normal with a few episodes of very loose stools, mainly when he complains of the stomach pains.  The stomach pains come and go, isn't a constant pain.  His stool samples were tested for bacteria and came back negative.  So its not what the doctor initially suspected at first, salmonella. We are now in the process of collecting 4 more stool samples along with blood work.  Has anyone else had a child with these health problems or does anyone have any advice as to what it might possible be?

Thanks for any and all help!

Lisa
My son age 17yrs had rectal bleeding for two years and kept it from me because he was embarassed :( When he finally told me I took him in right away and they found an internal hemorrhoid and removed it right in the dr.s office with a fairly simple procedure. I hope it's as easy as that for you. It is so upsetting when our kids get ill! Good Luck!
Thank you dcmarie for the comment.  We are hoping that is his problem!!  I will keep you posted on what we find out.
Please push the doctors for further tests. I know he is young but endoscopys/colonoscopies help doctors get a solution fast and avoids guesswork. If the mucous has red blood clots, do take him immediately for further examination. It can be something as simple as constepation to something serious. good luck.