Gastroenterology Community
Tender Stomach

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Tender Stomach

I have been having a problem with my stomach on the lower left side from below the belly button to the groin area.

It hurts to touch it, tender but bearable, it hurts when I cough or sneeze or whenever I flex the muscles in that area. Seems to be worse around my menstural cycle. My belly's looks slightly swollen, Even though I have 2 children, I am very slender yet I have this little potbelly. It's not fat because it's rather firm, so I'm not sure wether this has anything to do with it. I've had these pains for about 5 or six years now. Seven years ago I had a c-section with my first child, not sure if this has anything to do with it. I've also noticed when I've thrown up in the past it almost feels like somethings pokes out inside my stomach, and I can push it back in. I also have problems with constapation sometimes, and when I try to eat better it helps aleviate the tenderness. I have been to a free clinic a few years back, because of the pains and I thought I had felt a small little lump in my left upper groin area, but got discouraged when no-one was really listening to me and giving me any answers. I just know it's no this tenderness is not normal, and wonder what it could be and how serious it could be.  
Ers, with that kind of tenderness, you should see a doc and probably request that a couple of tests be done to check things out. That area is 'notorious' for issues such as diverticulosis, etc. and it's better to know what's going on so that you can find a way to fix it or treat it. Age doesn't seem to be a limiting factor in getting something like diverticulosis these days.