Gastroenterology Community
Terrified I've let a stomach cancer grow.

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

So I've had this sort of gurgling/burping thing that's been steadily worsening for the past few years. I first noticed it a little over 5 years ago, but I think it might have been going on a bit longer than that. I had my first frank case of heartburn about 4 years ago and some, followed by the gurgling happening constantly after meals. The doctor then brushed me off (I was barely 30) and gave me 20 mg Prilosec, which stopped it at the time, but then I stopped taking it and continued to ignore my symptoms. As of last year, when I've tried it again, 20 mg Prilosec didn't really stop the burping (it's constant whenever I eat, and especially when I drink a lot of liquids, particularly coffee and alcohol). I also have occasional reflux/regurgitation. and when I lie down right after drinking water, it comes up a little in my throat.

A couple of times this year I had burning pain in my sternum swallowing (both after over-indulging over a weekend - one might have been from eating something really hot), but it went away after a couple of days. The last time it happened, I went to a PCP who told me to double my dose of Prilosec (which I haven't done yet) and not to worry about stomach cancer at the age of almost-34, especially with the duration of and only gradual worsening of my symptoms, but I've been freaking out ever since.

I also have noticed cloudy urine, with some particles in it. I'm terrified of proteinurea meaning advanced stomach cancer, but of course I haven't had it checked out yet.

I'm going to see a GI specialist next Monday (I finally have insurance as of last year), but I'm calling every day to see if he has an earlier opening. I'm terrified of what he's going to say, and even more terrified that he might brush my symptoms off. What if I've ignored the symptoms of stomach cancer and am now at stage IV or something?

I must also note that I'm in treatment for my anxiety problems, but until I get a dx I'm not going to have any idea what's realistic and what's not about my worries. I was hoping someone here could give me some kind of realistic idea of what could be going on with me. My boyfriend will leave me if I go on obsessing over this, although he's agreed to come with me to the doctor's. I'm afraid to eat because I hate thinking about the burping and slight regurgitation. Please can someone give me something resembling a reality check?
First off, any doctor that brushes you off is a doctor not worth going to. Second, assuming you live in the US, stomach cancer is pretty uncommon-especially in those under 50. I can understand the worry. Stomach cancer symptoms are vague and similar to other conditions. I'm not a doctor but this sounds like GERD to me which can be made worse by caffeine, stress and anxiety. The cloudy urine could be a urinary tract infection. Definitely follow up with a doctor but in the mean time, I would cut out coffee, caffeine and alcohol- or anything else that triggers stomach pain.
Thank you! I really appreciate hearing this. Considering my anxiety is extra-severe this year, it might account for a worsening of GERD symptoms. This is helping me not freak out in advance of my appointment......I just wish I had more information to go on...!
Moved up my appointment to today successfully; having an endo tomorrow. Pretty terrified but at least I'm getting this over with.
Got scoped - clean in the stomach and esophagus.....inflamed duodenum though. Could be worse I suppose!
Have a Gastro question?
100,000+ doctor answers