Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
341137 tn?1287305043

Thread worm

Hi, my children have just had a check up and had to provide a stool sample each, when we saw them, they all had threadworm.  The samples went off for analysis and came back negative, which is unbelievable as we actually saw these worms moving.  The doctor prescribed Zentel and said to give them one tablet each, this we did 2 days ago - they still have worms.  We checked on the internet and it said that we should have given them 2 tables of 200gms each instead of one.  When should we treat them again with the full dose - I think we should do it right away as they still have the worms - my husband thinks we should wait a few days - please tell me when we should treat them again.
Thank you.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
624274 tn?1262709753
I have a dog that was just diagnosed with threadworms. Now I am afriad my children may have been exposed to tham as well. How can I tell and if they do have them in their stool? If they do, do I have to have a prescription for the Zentel? Now I too am worried about a mis-diagnoses. I just want to be sure my kids don't have them and if they do to get rid of them asap. Thanks, -Mary
Helpful - 0
You might want to check the success of treating after some weeks (in lab by your choise).

Other thing is - where worms come from. Other kids (neighbours, school-mates..) have them also? Worms may come through the skin during swimming in contaminated water or from the soil during walking barefoot, or from ingested soil when playing around. They may come from stool-to-mouth infection from other infected kids. And they may be in the raw food.
Helpful - 0
341137 tn?1287305043
Hi thanks for your post.  I gave the children 2 Zentel tablets a few days later and they all seem clear when we have looked - I know that they need proper analysis, but I am thinking that if the Analysis lab couldnt see the worms the first time which were very visible, and they gave a negative report,then I doubt that their second testing will be successful too.  This worries me greatly as we have always had the children tested and its always come back negative - but if they have mis- diagnosed - just think of the damage that could have been done.  I think I will give the children the tablets again at the appropriate time and ensure that we treat them twice a year.  I will make enquiries regarding other treatment that effects all the worm types, and try and find a better Lab..

Thanks.
Hazel
Helpful - 0
Yes, the usual dose is two 200mg Zentel tablets taken at the same time. This should kill worms (worms not moving), which then my be excreted with the stool for some days. Another stool test has to be done after some weeks, to see if treatment was succsessful.
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcmed.nsf/pages/gwczentt/$File/gwczentt.pdf

I'm not saying you should take tablets now, doctor should decide.
First of all, you should know what exact worms are there, since Zentel may not be effective for all of them.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Gastroenterology Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem