Gastroenterology Community
Throat and esophageal quiver/flutter

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Throat and esophageal quiver/flutter

Recently I've been having intermitent flutter feelings in my throat and the upper part of my stomach, above my belly button.  No pain.  At first I thought the flutter in my throat was from post nasal drip/coughing, I had the start of a cold.  After more tha a week, I've had an upset stomach, spent 2 days with aching in hips and vomited.  I thought I had the flu.  But the fluttering isn't going away. I take med for GERD, my only symptom is a chronic cough.  The fluttering doesn't last long, feels like mild spasm without pain.  Also for the past week I've had a lot of dizziness when I get from sitting, or up and down the stairs, or do activities with my head bent back getting things from a tall shelf.  Last year I had the dizziness evaluated with treadmill stress test, Holt monitor for a week, EKG, all negative.  Any suggestions?  Thanks
I have had the same thing for about 3 weeks now. I have the fluttering which seems to make me want to cough. I am seeing the cardiologist next week and just had my gallbladder checked. No info yet. Let me know how you have been doing these past two months.
i am going through the same thing since August 07 ..it is now Ap 08.. got an UPPER GI although didn't show anything, going for a EKG next to rule out the heart, but it is more central, solar plex? area and feels like it is in the center if that makes sense..no pain, just freaking fluttering /quivering every few mins... very bothersome and a bit worrisome..pls post anyone if you get to find out what it is, the dr's here are stumped... thanks all
I too am having the same fluttery/quiver in my throat.  It feels like I have to cough and then when I do there is nothing there, it lasts only a few seconds and then is gone, but happens several times throughout the day.  I am also on pantoloc for GERD, and am experiencing some 'GERD' like symptoms, i.e.: slight burning in esophagus along with after eating feeling like the food isn't moving all the way down in to my stomach, but is sitting like a ball at the base of my esophagus.  I am wondering if I have become immune to the pantoloc, I have been on it for 11 years.
I too had gerd and my only symptom was a cough.  After about 8 years the cough was causing lots of problems.  I finally was coughing up mucus and was also waking up during the night and having to sit in a chair until I coughed it up.  Because of lake of sleep for a long period of time my blood pressure shot up and I had to start on meds.
I had the scope etc and finally told my gi dr that I could not live this way.  After several tests including the tube down nose for 24 hrs, the test showed that when I coughed I had had reflux.  I would sometimes cough so hard I would throw up.
So after much discussion I decided to have the Nissen.  My surgeon is a bariatric surgeon and is great.  He told me he could offer me the loose wrap for the reflux and that he did a good loose wrap.  He is very confident and very very good.
The only bad thing was the 1st 2 weeks of liquid only after surgery.  I survived on oatmeal.
I have the same thing.  It usually starts 5 inches above navel.  It just started higher today.  Sometimes the flutter -- or vibrating travels from below the bottom of the sternum (Xiphoid process) towards and past the right inguinal  area on into my leg.   Mayo Clinic states these pulsing sensations are symptomatic of  abdominal aortic aneurysms.    Abdominal spasms will be seen as  a dysfunctional bowel if  a medical team focuses on giving people diarrhetic compounds . All this does is mask the symptom while a  blockage concurrently continues to grow in your esophagus or traverse  colon  while your thoracic area is filling up with gases and your internal pressure increases exponentialy relative t atmospheric pressure -- crushing other viscera, compressing nerves, and more --you will do no good relying on a specialist.  DO THE MATH YOURSELF.   PRESSURE DIFFERENTIAL MEANS BLOCKAGES AND EXPANSIONS ALONG YOUR VASCULAR SYSTEM AND INTESTINE SYSTEM.    LIKE A STONE THROWN INTO A POND - YOU ARE FEELING THESE SUBTLE WAVE.  IF YOUR DOCTOR BLOWS IT OFF -- GET RID OF THEM.  YOU HAVE AN INTESTINAL BLOCKAGE PLUS A STROKE IN THE MAKING.