Gastroenterology Community
Throat clearing?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Throat clearing?

I have a few questions that I hope no one thinks are too odd!
I am a 50 year old female, former smoker (13 years ago) and somewhat moderate drinker (usually twice or three times a week, 2 – 3 drinks at a time, usually during dinners out) but in fairly good health. About 2 months ago I started feeling the need to continually clear my throat and when I talked my voice would sound like it was underwater from the mucus. I dismissed it because I have post nasal drip and started spraying, taking allergy meds, etc. but nothing seemed to help.
After I had a flare up of redness from mild rosacea, someone recommended that I take some acid reducers to minimize the flushing redness that would occur if I had a few cocktails at a dinner out. To my surprise…the need to clear my throat went away and my voice seemed stronger for a few hours. The next day the throat clearing started again, so I took more acid reducer and it minimized it again. I’ve been doing this now for about three or four days and can somewhat control the symptoms now. Two questions about this – first, I feel as though I’m taking way too many acid reducers (Prilosec, Zantac, and Pepcid at different times of the day) – I have a doctor’s appointment in a few weeks and wasn’t sure if taking these OTC meds can really screw me up? And, does anyone have any idea what this could be? I’m leaning towards some kind of reflux but I typically don’t have heartburn, stomach upset, etc.
Please help!! Thank you in advance!!
I get the same thing.  Always clearing my throat - mucus always comes up.  Went to NET Dr - had no idea what was causing it - said to try medication for post nasal drip -  he gave me a prescription for a nose spray "mometasone furcate monohydrate"-  after 3 days it had stopped me from wanting to clear my throat -  it really dries the back of the nose and throat - had to use a saline spray along with it -  I have no idea what causes it -  I actually have it back again.  I am going back to doctor for more spray.  Hope this helps.
Karen
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank