Gastroenterology Community
Tightness Of Chest due to Non-Stop Gas

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Tightness Of Chest due to Non-Stop Gas

Yeah It might sound funny, but I assure you It's not. I had this problem about a month ago and It just came back. I'm 28 mind you so this is un-comforting. From the moment I wake up I'm burping (mild burps mind you) and the Gas keeps getting stuck in my chest cavity and It's hard to get it out. Thus putting pressure inside my chest, most notable the sternum. I doesn't hurt too much, just extremely uncomfortable. If I eat something for ex. half a sandwich It really acts up, I get hard pressure in the chest. But even If I don't eat all day my body will still continue to reproduce gas thus making me continue to burp. I'm becoming afraid of even eating. Please help. Thank you kindly for reading.
This is a tough situation for myself also because for the last 7 years approximately Ive suffered from panic attacks, anxiety and all around nervousness. So, this isn't making life easy to cope with and get around to with day to day activities. Hope to be able to talk with people whom deal with similar situations.
Christopsy,
To relieve the gas you have, there are two tips:  One is to tap right on the sternum until you feel relief.  Two is to drink ordinary Alka Seltzer Original, it releases gas forthwith, it returns the tummy pH to a more alkaline state instead of acidic, and the aspirin in it makes you feel better in general.  

Usually gas like you have is caused by skipping meals or eating a great big meal earlier in the day or by not eating enough regular meals.  Also important for good digestion is to drink plenty of water daily (shoot for six glasses), and to exercise regularly, and eat enough fiber foods like oat cereal, whole wheat sandwiches, colorful salads, fresh or frozen vegies cooked, and fruit for a snack.

Chris, I can also talk to you about panic disorder, as I have that!  However, you may wish to later on find the psychology or panic disorder forum at this website and post same thing over there.  But since I know all about it, I'll also tell you about that as briefly as I can.  First, you should go to a group practice of psychs and get some tranqs from the doc, and she'll send you to the correct psychologist to approach your panic thru behavior modification.  Second, while it's not essential to know where your panic came from, it will be something you will eventually figure out after you start getting better and that helps.  But the most important thing is to RELAX, and expose yourself to scary situations, and practice deep breathing when you get nervous, which is to take a deep breath, blow it out, then breathe normal a couple times, repeat ten times.  One of the best ways to relax is to exercise regular to where you break a sweat, it releases tension and releases endorphins, the body's own feel-good hormones.

Hope this helps you out a little.  Gas is a real pain, and panic is unbearable.  But despite all my many physical and mental problems, I have specialists who watch over me, I take medicines to keep me straight, and I use creative pursuits (guitar, painting, dance) to give myself confidence thru a rather draining set of circumstances I have no control over.  Let us know if you get better.  
GG