Gastroenterology Community
Toddler has loose stools.. any thoughts.. please?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I have a 2 year old daughter. Ever since she was born she has had loose stools. It's not like watery loose but it's more pastey than anything. She is a healthy girl and she eats great. She is above avg. on her height (3ft) and she weighs 35lbs. She doesn't like to drink milk of any kind but she does like cheese and ice cream. I've brought it up with her doctor but he doesn't seem to concerned about it. I just want answers though. Could it be because of the lack of calcium or am I not doing something right in her diet? I also have a 1 yr old and her bowels are perfect. She is a milk drinker though so that is why I was wondering if it could be the lack of milk in my 2 yr old?
It could be a lack of milk, but,usually it is the opposite, children that drink milk have the loose stools. It sounds to me like it could be a mild form of Celiac Disease. This is mainly due to the lack of folic acid in the diet, and when that is taken care, the loose stools usually stop as well. Here is a little about it, I copied it from Web MD. Try the Folic Acid, you can get it in liquid form as well as chewable pill form, I bet it will help.

Celiac Disease Symptoms
What are the signs and symptoms of celiac disease?
Depending on the degree of malabsorption, the signs and symptoms of celiac disease vary among individuals, ranging from no symptoms, few or mild signs and symptoms, to many or severe signs and symptoms. There are two categories of signs and symptoms: 1) signs and symptoms due to malabsorption, and 2) signs and symptoms due to malnutrition including vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

1. Signs and symptoms of malabsorption
The three major categories of dietary nutrients are carbohydrates, proteins, and fat. Absorption of all of these nutrients can be reduced in celiac disease; however, fat is the most commonly and severely affected nutrient. Most of the gastrointestinal symptoms and signs of celiac disease are due to the inadequate absorption of fat (fat malabsorption). Gastrointestinal symptoms of fat malabsorption include diarrhea, malodorous flatulence (foul-smelling gas), abdominal bloating, and increased amounts of fat in the stool (steatorrhea). The unabsorbed fat is broken down by intestinal bacteria into fatty acids, and these fatty acids promote secretion of water into the intestine, resulting in diarrhea. Fatty stools typically are large in volume, malodorous (foul smelling), greasy, light tan or light grey in color, and tend to float in the toilet bowl. Oil droplets (undigested fat) also may be seen floating on top of the water.

Loss of intestinal villi also causes malabsorption of carbohydrates, particularly the sugar lactose. Lactose is the primary sugar in milk. Lactose is made up of two smaller sugars, glucose and galactose. In order for lactose to be absorbed from the intestine and into the body, it must first be split into glucose and galactose. The glucose and galactose then can be absorbed by the cells lining the small intestine. The enzyme that splits lactose into glucose and galactose is called lactase, and it is located on the surface of the small intestinal villi. In celiac disease the intestinal villi along with the lactase enzymes on their surface are destroyed, leading to malabsorption of lactose.

Signs and symptoms of malabsorption of lactose are particularly prominent in individuals with celiac disease who have underlying lactose intolerance, a genetically determined reduction in the activity of lactase. Symptoms of lactose malabsorption (diarrhea, excessive flatulence (passing gas), abdominal pain and abdominal bloating or distension) occur because unabsorbed lactose passes through the small intestine and into the colon. In the colon, there is a normal bacterium that contains lactase and is able to split the lactose, using the resulting glucose and galactose for its own purposes. Unfortunately, when they split the lactose into glucose and galactose, the bacteria also release gas (hydrogen and /or methane). A proportion of the gas is expelled and is responsible for the increased flatus (passing gas) that may occur in celiac disease. Increased gas mixed in the stool is responsible for stool floating in the toilet bowl.

Not all of the lactose that reaches the colon is split and used by colonic bacteria. The unsplit lactose that reaches the colon causes water to be drawn into the colon (by osmosis). This promotes diarrhea.

Here is the link to the rest of the artical.
http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/celiac-disease/celiac-disease-symptoms?page=2

Hope this helps.