Gastroenterology Community
Toilet Troubles--Is it Something Severe??

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

I'm a 26-year-old female, and I'm not sure what to do.

For as long as I can remember, I've had issues with digestion, but started to try and self-diagnose and fix the situation about 7 years ago.

I can't poop. I feel bloated, weighed down, gassy, and I can even feel the feces trapped inside, but I just can't go. Even while writing this post I felt the need to go, but alas, once I arrived at the bathroom and sat down on the toilet, NOTHING.

I eat well, I drink plenty of water, I exercise. I've tried cutting out gluten and soy and lactose; I have been taking Miralax almost every single day for the past 3 years, and am no longer getting results. I have tried two different probiotics--PB8 and Provella--that seemed to work at first, and then ceased to produce any noticeable effect. The only relief I have found is by taking milk of magnesia or tea with senna in it.

I have tried taking HCL (hydrochloric acid) to up the acid in my digestive system, and that KIND of works at getting rid of the gas I experience from being constipated, but I'm afraid it's too soon to tell if that will produce any long term benefits.

I am starting to worry that I may have something really severe, like Crohn's or colitis. Does anyone have ANY advice for me before I lose my mind?
Oh, I also forgot to mention that I will get sharp pains in my sphincter that shoot up my colon. It's awful.
You should see a doctor and get a scope done.
If it's Crohn's or Colitis, more than often it can be controlled by medications or it could just be a bad flare that needs to be put into remission.

This is a very common condition and my mom actually goes through the same symptoms. You are much younger, but my mom had this problem when she was in college as well 22-26 and it returned when she was 45.

I would recommend a scope. They suck. I know.. I have to have a scope done through my stoma since I had surgery to perform an illeostomy in september. I have had probably a good 60 scopes in the past 6 years and i have never had something make me feel so sick to think of..
Thank you, I think a scope would be the best next step to take as well. I wonder if I would be able to just have the scope done rectally, though; the thought of having to do it through my throat is quite frightening. :(