Gastroenterology Community
Too much medication???

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Too much medication???

Hello, I have a question regarding medication. I went to the dr. last week because for two weeks I had horrible pit stomach pains (dbl over pain), and the belching was horrendous, especially at night. The doctor (I was still belching in his office) listened to my stomach and told me it was acid reflux, bad case apparently. The only time I felt well was when I would not eat anything, not even drink water...lost 2 lbs ...not good.

I was already taking prilosec for two weeks (1 x day), before seeing him. He put me on Sucralfate for two months, Reglan for one month, and to up my prilosec 2 x day.

Yes all this has helped, the belching stopped, the pain in pit of stomach gone....yeah....

Is this to much stomach medicine? I am not having any side effects so far while being on it, but was just curuious.

It's not too much medication, but have you been tested for acid reflux? Have you had an upper endoscopy and been checked for H. pylori?
Thanks for replying...

Yes I had an endo & colonoscopy done over a year ago due to weight loss. Everything came bak normal according to GI doctor.

I just started having these stomach issues about a month ago. I don't feel like I have heart burn in anyway, but I do have the burning esophagus (sp?). It does not hurt to swallow nor is the throat soar, just a burning feeling. I don't get any burning sensation in the chest, just right at the pit of my stomach. The pain as am sure you know is extremely painful; I double over praying for it to pass, it usually does. A lot better with a bowel movement. The pain feels like a hot poker in my stomach, my back well also hurt as well. I had an attack ( I like to call them) during lunch today, not in the best of moods. I am not belching however, just a burn in the pit of my stomach, tried eating a cereal bar, made it worse, feels like I need another BM, but I have already gone twice during lunch....

I would call the doctor but to embarrassed or being called a whimp....

I do not eat spicy foods at all, don't like them....never have. I am lactose intolerance as well. I stick to pretty much Progesso soup, tuna, deli meat & salty chips...I guess it is one of those things you learn to live with eventually..
Forget the idea of being a wimp. You're only hurting yourself and it's not going to do any good to try to live through it and hope it will go away. If the pain is going through to your back, have yourself looked at for gallbladder issues. But make sure you're checked for H. pylori.
I brought up the idea of gallbladder because both my mom and sister had to have theirs removed. He took one look at me and grinned and told me I did not fit the criteria. Not over weight...I did however look at the results from last yr on the endocolonoscopy/colonoscopy and the only thing it mentioned was mild gastritis (sp). Negative for pylori and celiac. I know something is wrong down there due to the fact that I get perianal absecess I keep getting...

Thanks, I will go back if it continues. ....