Gastroenterology Community
Tortuous colon or redundant colon

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Tortuous colon or redundant colon

I have been told I may have a redundant colon, a colon that has an extra loop, but I have also read about "tortuous colon" that is caused by long term constipation.  As a life-long IBS sufferer the latter is quite possible, although the first also explains a lot.  Can anyone tell me the difference?  I don't need to hear about colonoscopies - I can't have them because of adhesions from an ectopic pregnancy.  When I had a barium enema they said it was extra long.
Symptoms:  mostly when I wear clothes that put any kind of pressure on my  abdomen, I get gas build up that can be very painful.  I have to buy pants several sizes too large to be able to bear them.  Sometimes there is bloating, sometimes not.  I can relieve it some with burbing and passing gas.  It doesn't correlate with whether I am constipated or not - I have that problem pretty well under control with diet and relaxation techniques.  I thought it might be related to the adhesions, but I had most of them removed during a surgery for something else.  Pains at those sites are gone, but the general bloating and problem with tight clothes remains.
My mother has a similar condition and it's due to surgical adhesions that cause uncomfortable and sometimes painful obstructions.

She's hasn't had any luck in getting any relief and just lives with it. If they carry out surgical procedures, she was told that adhesions may just return due to having more surgery and actually be worse.

I suppose they could do a ct w/contrast or mri to see if your colon is twisted - which happened to my father-in-law although I'm not certain that is appropriate for that condition.
Tell your mother that they have a way to prevent more adhesions when they do surgery now!  That made me happy.  Maybe the way I have to avoid pressure will go away as the inflammation from the surgery will go away.  Anyway, it's really nice to hear that someone else has the same problem (and I too  lived  with it for years).  I felt all alone, and no one medical knows what I mean.