Total Colectomy for constipation
Is there anyone who can give me advice/ experience of having an open, total colectomy? I have suffered from chronic constipation for 3-4 years and have had no relief from any other treatment. I have had extensive tests, including a sitz marker transit (23 were still present on day 6), a defecogram, MRI, motility test, and more. I was diagnosed with slow transit and pelvic floor dysfunction. I tried biofeedback therapy, but it never showed that I have PVD.

Hi - I hope that I can help you.  Four years ago I underwent an open total colectomy - but for a different complaint - namely torrential diverticular bleeding.

I decsribed this to another parient called renae241 in an answer to her original posting.

Try typing in:-

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/523166

I also remember (about a year ago) responding with similar information to a patient with the name "mifegr" who was also contemplating a total colectomy for an inactive colon.

Please feel free to revert with any additional questions when you have studied the posting.

Good luck
Morecambe
I am wondering if you had a colectomy for constipation?  I have one more test to run in a couple of weeks but after years of suffering we are contemplating it for constipation.  I am in the hospital every other month getting pumped out with an NG tube and feel this is the final straw.  Just wondering.
(Hi Morecambe. I'm still alive). My name is Gina. I have had chronic consiptation for 17 years and in 1 month I am going to have a total colectomy. I am interested in knowing the results of your Defacting Proctogram test. If it was normal, then they can hook your small intestine up with your rectum and you will go to the bathroom normally after having your colon removed.  And if they never said you have PVD, it is very likely you'll do great after surgery. Had this been my situation, I would have had the surgery years ago. However, my Defacting Proctogram test was not normal and I do have PVD (very common with people who have chronic constipation). So, my rectum must be removed and they must make a fake rectum called a J pouch.  J pouches work well for people who DO NOT have PVD. I do.  So I have been told that I may end up having to wear a bag the rest of my life. Even that would be better than what I'm going through.  As I'm sure you understand.  Gina
Did you end up having the surgery? How did it go? How are you feeling now years later? I am in a similiar boat as you were when you posted this. I had a sitz marker test at the end of October and just got my results back "significantly abnormal" and meet with my dr next week to go over my options. Was looking for some more feedback from anyone that has gotten this done due to colonic inertia or constipation. Was it worth it?
Has anyone had there large intestine removed and had their small intestine attached to their rectum for colonic inertia and ended up with constipation after surgery? I heard that is a risk factor. That you can get the surgery but there might be a chance you will have constipation again one day. Also has anyone had their large intestine removed for colonic inertia and then their small intestine eventually give out on them? What happened then
So had a special doctor visit after hours with some of the staff (gi specialist and colon surgeon) at a hospital I have been having all these tests done at. They talked to me about all the results and all that I have told them and they feel I have 2 issues going on

1.) Colonic inertia = constipation/slow transit
2.) SIBO/IBS

they told me that the only way to be sure if the large intestine is working is to do a temporary jpouch for about 4 - 6 weeks. Test the waters and see if I feel better without use of the large intestine. If I do then we know the large intestine is to blame and they can remove it. They told me that they would remove the jpouch and the large intestine and then connect my small intestine to my rectum.

Did anyone else go through this before having their large intestine removed. It means 2 surgeries for me.
I worded that wrong.. its a temporary ileostomy
wouldn't you have chronic diarrhea then?    I am having the same issues...how are you now? did you have the surgery? are you glad you did?