Gastroenterology Community
Tougue and mouth numbness

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Tougue and mouth numbness

I am 29 yrs old and have been suffering from what initially seemed to be a dry mouth/tongue. It started about 2 months ago. I went to an otorhinolaryngologist (hope I got that right). He told examined my mouth, tongue, and throat and said that everything seemed normal and that there were no signs of dryness. He told me that that feeling of numbness and dryness could be caused by gases or acids flowing from the stomach into the mouth. I was a bit a skeptical then because I wasn't suffering from any stomach pain or heartburn or any symptom related to the digestive system. At the time, the doctor prescribed Nexium for 2 weeks. I decided to take it and experienced no improvement after completing the treatment. I had visited a gastroenterologist before but for problems related to irritable colon. However, the sensation of dry mouth/tongue has worsened a bit since I stopped taking Nexium. I check my mouth whenever I can and always find that it looks moist and pretty normal. No signs of irritation. However, just 3 days ago I started experiencing other symptoms. I've felt mild irritation in the esophagus or throat and in my stomach (possibly heartburn). Also, about a week ago I had abdominal pain in the night that cleared the next morning without taking anything. The pain was very acute and had difficulty in releasing gases. At some points, I experience this difficulty to release gases. At other times, there is no difficulty. My concern is whether or not there is any connection between the dry mouth/tounge feeling that started a while back with these new symptoms? Can stomach acids or gases be the main cause of this sensation of dryness?
Dry mouth from gastric acid goes with obvious acidic taste, (bile would cause bitter taste).

The most common cause of dry mouth is dehydration. Urinating at least twice a day, and excreting at least 200 ml of urine in the morning should mean adequate hydration. It needs only few days of not drinking enough to get dehydrated.

Dry mouth also often comes from nervousness.

Sjögren's syndrome (dry mout, dry eyes, dry skin) would be detected by ORL doctor, I guess.

Some medications cause dry mouth.

If you think the numbness is obvious, so you actually don't feel the tounge properly, you should visit neurologist. Check on wrongdiagnosis.com for all possible causes of dry mouth.