Gastroenterology Community
Transduodenal Sphincteroplasty

Ask questions on Gastroenterology issues: Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Transduodenal Sphincteroplasty

Just wondering if anybody here has had this surgery? If so, can you please share your experience, success, failure, complications, medical presentation etc....

I am looking at this as an option for me (seeing my surgeon again in Jan) as I have had urq pain for the past 3 years. I had my gallbladder out in Dec 09 but nothing improved.... I have been diagnosed with sphincter of oddi dysfunction and a tight bile duct.
I have had a sphincterotomy on the biliary/main sphincter which on all my ercp reports states is open....

I am just wondering, if the sphincterotomy is still keeping things open, would the sphincteroplasty really help??? Or should I be looking at surgery on the duct as well???

I would appreciate any advice you could offer.

Warmest regards

Sarsi
anybody?
Hi there!

Sphincteroplasty may be an option worth considering for sphincter of Oddi dysfunction; however with a previously done sphincterotomy that is patent, it may not be beneficial. In the situation, other possible causes of your symptoms such as infections, inflammations, motility issues, causes unrelated to the GI etc may need to be considered as well. I would suggest discussing the situation and the management plan in detail with your treating doctor.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thankyou for responding to my question :)

To further the information, I have been treated with biliary stents for 3-4months at a time with great results and significant improvement from the pain while they are in place...

The other surgery that has been suggested is a choledochoduodenostomy, and I'm wondering that if it's the duct as well as the sphincter causing my the issues that this surgery may be the better option......
DId you end up having the sphincteroplasty? I had mine in October 2012 and am having weird symptoms plus the old right upper quadrant pain. My doctor is suggesting a biliary roux en y but I am very afraid to have another major surgery. Has this been recommended to you? I have free reflux of duodenal contents going into the bile duct.