Treatment options for redundant colon?
I am a 56-year old woman and have had problems with constipation since I was a child. I have been addicted to laxatives on-and-off.  Several years ago I developed intermittent lower abdominal pain, but now it's every day in varying degrees. At one doctor's recommendation, I drastically changed my diet, eliminating gluten, dairy and coffee, with no improvement. I seem to do better without starches/sugars. I've also had to change my wardrobe - I can't wear anything that is remotely tight on my stomach and often have to leave my low-cut pants unfastened. I take Miralax every day and supplement with MOM as needed. I've also found a wonderful herbal product to help with the gas that gets trapped in the "curves."
My first colonoscopy could not be completed and was followed by a barium xray; there were no polyps or masses. After a second colonoscopy under anesthesia I was told I had IBS and sent home with pills that didn't work! It wasn't until I asked for a copy of the procedure report that I saw the term "redundant colon."
I have been able to find little information about this diagnosis.  What treatment options are there? Is surgery an option and, if so, what is the longterm outcome? Is there someone who specialized in this problem - most gastroenterologists get that "deer-in-the-spotlight look" when I ask!?!
I hate that my life has to revolve around this problem - and no one understands what I'm going through!! I am otherwise healthy, I exercise regularly, eat well - I just want to know what I can do to "fix" this problem! Thanks!
Lizzie, ask for a referral to a good GI person and then discuss having a marker study done to follow 'transit time' through your large intestine. This will help the doc to determine what's going on. Some people do have surgery on the large intestine if there's a serious problem, but it would have to be documented. And the problem with the surgery is the large intestine has a variable blood supply so more than just the portion that's redundant might have to be removed. There are also consequences to removal of a portion of the colon. One of the largest can be on-going diarrhea, which many people find to be as bothersome as having unremitting constipation. You can make dietary changes to try to control the diarrhea, but?

Welcome to the gastroenterology community!  If your only physical abnormality is a redundant colon then you should not get surgery.  This a very common thing that a lot of people have.  It can add to your constipation problems, so it is best to deal with the constipation problem (which is probably IBS) with a gastroenterologist and don't worry about the diagnosis of a redundant colon as it is not a big deal.
With all due respect, it is a big deal when every day your life revolves around your GI status. The bloating and embarrassing gas is more than just a mere nuisance. It definitely interferes with the individual's daily life. I have had IBS with constipation and a redundant colon for 24 years. I treat the symptoms DAILY but it doesn't always work. I wish there was a better answer.
Respectfully, redundant colon can be problematic depending on the length and configuration of the redundancy. If of excessive length and if that redundant section is 'twistable' on it's mesocolon, the redundancy can 'twist or torque' presenting significant problems. When redundancy is found, it should be fully investigated and if the section presents problems, appropriate steps should be taken.
Very true, if lizzie416 starts developing twisting and torquing and developing obstructions from that, then surgery should be considered.  However, many many people have a redundant colon and for almost all of them, surgery should not be performed.
I've seen my barium enema xrays, and they look like my abdomen is populated by a bunch of big snakes. There are so many loops and squiggles it's not funny. I don't have to be told that it's caused by constipation. In my 20s my intestinal troubles began, and I was encouraged to take Metamucil and eat plenty of fiber. I followed orders, kept taking the Metamucil, but nothing was happening on the toilet. I wondered where all that stuff was going, now I know I was probably stretching on the inside! I know I have IBS, and my bowels are never "normal," either constipated or diarrhea. Miralax is a disaster -- cramps and incontinence. Colace doesn't help much, either. Milk of Magnesia helps but I don't use it often. I'm still on a high fiber diet, and take a fiber supplement, but nothing's "normal."
I know this is late but you may wish to rethink the use of metamucil or other fiber supplements. I have a tortuous and redundant colon and suffered for years with fiber. I now eat a gluten free low fiber diet and manage constipation as it occurs by cycling cape aloe, milk of magnesia, and bisocodyl as necessary. I use magnesium citrate when I am aware that my colon is stagnant- which is what occurs with redundant colon. I do a great deal of pelvic floor exercise and core because you need muscle to support the sagging colon or its gonna pile up in your pelvis and cause rectal issues. No doctor can help you manage this- it's an ongoing problem you need to be on top of. There is no magic pill. In fact, I disagree with doctors pushing metamucil and esoecislly miralax. Do NOT use miralax. Stick to the natural substances I mentioned above. Never rely on just one. Magnesium citrate is the ultimate solution to your problems evey time they flare up. If you insist on fiber, eat artichokes and prunes. But I strongly recommend decreasing your fiber intake because that synthetic fiber is stretching out the walls of your bowel making it even less efficient at peristalsis. Yes, I am a health care professional and I think any doctor pushing miralax over magnesium is in big pharmas pocket and not to be trusted. Miralax is made from propolene glycol. So is antifreeze. Magnesium in all forms is an essential nutrient and critical for efficient bowel function. Gastroenterology is useless for your problem stop expecting them to cure you. You can help yourself and need to do so- you will get no relief in a GI office. Colon hydrotherapy once a month also is amazing and if you can find a practitioner I strongly suggest you see one. Be well
I'm so sorry you are going thru this... Im also in my 20s and after much constipation, very irregular "activity" and many stomach cramps, I finally went to a GI doctor myself. Unfortunately many of the pains and problems and feelings you are describing, I can relate to all to on well.

I had a colonoscopy and an upper GI done. They some acid in my stomach, but most importantly an elongated colon. It explained everything.

Like you, I have not found a solution. And like you, I'm sick of my life revolving around this.

What I would suggest: maintain your exsercise or activity level, drink LOTS of water, and try to stay away from starches as much as possible. I have also found that taking a generic fiber supplement every morning with a big glass of water helps wonderously too.

My prayers are with you as we figure this out together. I'm so sorry for your discomfort and pain.

Blessings,
Sara
I have been suffering with this problem for over 2 1/2 years.  After my persistence and 24 doctors later I found a colon doctor that did another colonoscopy and ordered an MRA for my blood vessels and I had a 99% blockage of my celiac artery.  Had a stent put in but very little relief.  My doctor put me on a medication called Linzess, well let me tell you it cleaned me out every morning but who can live on a toilet.. I did this for 30 days and am back to abdominal pain galore, can't exercise because of extreme pain. Been to the specialist at UofM in Ann Arbor, Mi and nothing.  My quality of life is awful  
this olso is happening to me ! I went to hospital. They gave me some tablets and some powder to mix with water for ten days.

An other  docter told me to use Chlorophyll , cellulosis, to eat
1) lemon+1 spoon of honey+2 tbs of olive oil+ 1 onion  morning , 4 days a week all the month long
2) pumpkin+ green tomatoes+ vegies of beenplant+igname
3) 4 aples+passion fruits+ pinapple+maize+papay all the day long at 8:00am and at 4:00pm.  I took it there is only one week. I still wait for result of all this.
Lizzie, I am 48 yrs old and have had issues since I was a child too. All I ever got was "drink more water, eat more fiber" end of story. Until I ended up up with an internal hernia of my colon and had to have major surgery.  I finally ended up with a great GI doc who got me on the right track. I have a routine of benefiber powder every morning and miralax as needed.   I just adjust as needed.   I am getting over a GI bug and my colon is a bit messed up now, but I am tryong to get back into the routine.
I am really curious about the herbal supplement that you use for gas.  Please pass on the name!

Good luck.
I am 60-years old and have had issues with my bowels all my life, the worst was after my second child was born where I went from constipation to diarrhea and back to constipation, back and forth, for over a year.  With a pre-schooler and a baby, I didn't have funds to see the doctor for myself, and never really knew what the problem was until I had my first screening colonoscopy 5-years ago, where I was told that I had an elongated colon with multiple tortuosities.  I also had the X-rays, and was able to see the rosettes, loops, and helix curls of my colon.  But before that, I had learned to manage the issue.  Yes, fiber and water is important, but I found the most useful tool to manage my bowel issues is routine.  A morning routine that almost always results in a satisfactory bowel movement.  When my routine is disrupted, usually while traveling, is when I have problems, and then, it usually takes about a week and several doses of Miralax to get back on track.  Recently, I discovered Squatty Potty, and that has helped to reduce the length of time per sitting.  I don't think it is the exact routine that is important, just that you have one, but here is mine:  Get up, empty my bladder, immediately drink 12 oz. of water.  Take my pills, fix and eat breakfast, consuming another 12 oz. of water.  Take Metamucil with yet another 12 oz. of water.  Have one mug, also 12 oz. of coffee. Like Pavlov's dogs, usually just the smell of the coffee as I make it, is enough to stimulate a bowel movement, and then I usually have a second movement, after sipping the coffee.  After that, I shower and dress.  However, if I go off routine, and shower and dress to go out for breakfast, I probably will not have a bowel movement that day, and will be out of kilter for the next week.  It does effect my life; but it is manageable.
Thanks for all your comments. Since it's been a while since some of us posted, could we possibly let people know how we are doing now?

There isn't much change for me, I'm afraid. I still have constipation/diarrhea often. In addition, sometimes I have incontinence and trouble emptying my rectum. Last year my PCP referred me to gynecology because I also have a rectocele. I saw a specialist who visits the medical center one day per month. I had several visits, and the doctor really could not figure out what to do for me. Unlike the rectal surgeon I consulted, who confirmed I have the rectocele, the GYN only had me lying face up, so that everything collapsed and he couldn't find the rectocele. Finally he referred me to the bowel program at the University of Michigan.

When my appointment time came, I was scheduled to see someone for my spine problems. So I skipped going to Ann Arbor so I could focus on my back. So there's really been no progress in resolving my problems with redundant colon and IBS.

However, I discovered online the concept of FODMAPs. I'll not explain it here, but you can google, especially the Wikipedia article. Finally something made since to me. The FODMAP theory is that the starches and sugars in the food we eat cause our problems. They recommend an elimination diet of the various categories of FODMAPs, and if that helps, then the reverse process is used to pinpoint what is causing the problems of gas and bloating and constipation. I tried the elimination diet, which made all kinds of improvement. Then adding one category at a time, I found what causes me problems. I try to avoid these foods, and the bloating and gas are much better, although constipation is still with me. I really recommend you check out FODMAPs and see if it helps you.

By the way, after my spine surgery, I wore braces to support my back, which also had plates in the front to help my abdominal muscles support my back. During this time, I had very regular bowel movements. Side effect, my GERD came back due to the pressure on my abdomen. Still dealing with these issues.
I had a colonoscopy a few months ago; was having a lot of constipation, which I only had intermittently before.  MD explained I had some flat polyps(can't remember the name, but turned out to be benign, thank God), and a redundant colon.  Recommended metamucil, increased water (1/2 gal. per day), high fiber diet, (40 Grams/d), and Stoneyfield yogurt, which is a yogurt with healthy bacteria, and is different from the other yogurts that have bacteria with them).  While I took the metamucil, my constipation improved, but I developed an allergy to it (itching to head and trunk that just about drove me mad).  Also 2 stool softeners 3 times daily.  When I stopped the metamucil, I got bound up again, but if I eat a lot of insoluable fiber, like corn, grape nuts, fiberOne cereal, etc., it helps.  The yogurt is also key.
My GI doc told me I had redundant bowel after my first colonoscopy. He said he was not surprised at my lifelong problem with constipation.  He recommended that every night before bed I take 1 capful of Miralax and 1 capful of Citrucel (I use the miralax bottle cap to measure)  in a glass of water.  Specifically Citrucel, not any other fiber supplement.  Next morning, a complete bm. Like clockwork.  No diarrhea.    This works for me and has made a huge difference.  I also eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of water.  I've been taking this concoction every night for the past 3 years and highly recommend it.  
I have all the same problems since my hysterectomy in march 2013. Constipation and pain has progressively gotten worse. Horrible ball of p a in in lower right abdomen, groin area. Thought hernia but it's not. I can barely walk, stepping on rihht foot or driving makes pain unbearable. I was going every 5 days .taking linzess 295, miralax morn and n8ght, 15 fiber capsules a da y, fiber one bars, Activia yogurt, tons of water, low carbs no dairy. Best I can get is to go 1 every 3 days! The ball of pain I need answers to. Mri says elongated , stool, polycystic ovaries, cervix remnants, big ovaries, scar tissue. Maybe colon moving to space uterus was? Just need answers or more tests. Need to feel better
Affecting life terribly.  Anxiety, and heart rate between 40 and 55, also strange. Have t remors, hives, can't sleep, evetything hurts (muscles, joints) something has to b going on with me c a using all this!!! Ideas? ??
I had a colonoscopy today and was told I had a redundant colon. My problems started in August with mild lower abdominal pain.  I had it almost daily for 2 months.  I started with my family doctor, but after 2 months saw a gastroenterologist he recommended.  Unlike almost all of you I did not suffer from constipation, or thought I didn't .  I have been a vegetarian for 20 years.  She noted that my "pictures" showed fecal matter that was not moved along.  In addition,  she detected a lot of gas in my abdomen.  Like another reader, I have been having problems with buttoning my jeans.  My belly bulges so much, I look pregnant.  I am 67 years old.  She advised me to take Miralax daily and then begin to cut back to find the right amount needed to keep me "comfortable' She suggested that I avoid broccoli and onions which produce a lot of gas.  I friend suggested I take a daily dose of Inner - eco liquid probiotic (Wegman's Supermarket) .  She said you must use a probiotic that is refrigerated as it keeps the "good guys" active, like in the "right" yogurts.  Avoid powder probiotics.  Many of you talk about a routine that keeps you regular, well, this is going to surprise you but within 15 minutes of having a Starbucks Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa which I make with almond milk, I have what seems to be a thorough BM.  Now, my doctor has recommended I take Citrucel daily for a month and follow up with her in 4 months.  The pain disappeared once I started Miralax but my abdomen still protrudes.  I should not complain as I have no discomfort now, but I hate the way I look and am concerned that I must be constipated after all.  I am going to be more vigilant regarding starches and will read up.  I appreciate all of the sharing I have found on this site.  Thank you.
I have something that helps that doesn't cost anything. Raising your feet off the ground while eliminating is helpful. I just use a bath rug by rolling and folding it and then place it under my feet. I got this concept by hearing about a product called "Squatty Potty".  I decided I would just try raising my feet and see how that would work. I found that the stool comes out long instead of breaking off. Sorry to be so graphic! This has been very helpful to me.
I hope this helps all of you!
I am 46 and had surgery for the redundant colon 6 years ago. I had been going to GI doctors since I was 18. Most of them would tell me that I had IBS. I tried following their regimen of more fluids and high fiber but it was the fiber that was tortured for me. Most GI doctors wrote me off as non-compliant.
I found a colon-rectal specialist that semi worked with me but I could sense his frustration too. I felt like no one believed me. He ended up doing a rectacele repair and hemorrhoidectomy and tons of tests and scopes. Those procedures didn't help much either. I used miralax (double dose), glycerin suppositories (to stimulated the rectum), milk of magnesia, enemas, smooth move tea and really anything I could find to try to get relief. My children knew I stayed in the bathroom.  They would have to bring me pillows for my tummy and wet cloths because I would almost faint from the pain. At times I would even pace the house with a belly looking like I was was ready to deliver triplets. So......10 years after my first visit to the colon-rectal doctor, I got firm. I told him that if I heard IBS one more time, I was going to come unglued! That I could not tolerate high fiber because it increased the gas in my belly and the pain was unbearable. I had also become borderline anorexic at the end because it just hurt too bad to eat. I didn't care that there was a chance that I was going to end up with a colostomy.....I wanted my life.  He finally listened and did one last test that showed the redundancy. With my insistence, we did the surgery. He removed all of the colon to the sigmoid colon and reattached the small intestine to it. I had 2 1/2 more large intestine than I should have. Granted the surgery was only suppose to have a hospital stay of a week, I ended up staying for a month due to complications but in the end, I would do it all over again. My bathroom visits are down to 2mins or less. I just get in there and get it done. Hallelujah!!
omg totally my story.. i am down to 110 lbs and just found this out yesterday...
I am going through this right now and am so happy you have found relief! This past year I have had massive pain attacks that are ruining my life.  I just returned from colo-rectal specialist and am waiting for more tests.  He said he won't do surgery on my redundant colon without knowing exactly why I am having pain.  Now on to transit study and anal function test.  I can't imagine living with this forever.  Thank you for sharing your experience!
Hi there
I am 47 male and a nurse for 25 years. I started have symptoms of severe IBS in 2010. Severe bloating pain constipation 90% of the time. I was in ER at least 3 times a week with obstructions. So down went the NG tubes and the fancy enemas like baking soda and molasses( I kid you not). With no results. I tried extra fiber extra water changed diet etc. Nada. So off I went to see the Gastro. Like you his eyes glazed over and said extra fibre. He booked a colonoscopy which he could not advance the scope I knew something was up. His advise increase fiber and take probiotics. I nearly punched the SOB in the head. So on my own   I cornered one the surgeons I work with and explained what is going on. He booked me for a barium enema in 2 days. The test was hell, but by the time I got home he was on the phone telling me I have a severely redundant bowel that need to come out ASAP. Within a week I had the surgery where the took my total large bowel which was 6 feet to long!
I still have some problems but I can cope. My heart goes out to anyone who has this and is lost in the system. My advise PUSH never give up. its your health so what if your not the docs favorite patient **** on them. Demand answers. Get second options.Best of luck .
I just found out today I have a redundant colon. I have had either diarhea or constipation since a child. While in college I would go 2weeks between having a bowel movement. I am now 67. Stress makes it worse. You all know the drill. I am just glad to have a reason other than IBS or gluten, et. because nothing has worked. Thankful for this site and the information on here!
Hello There,
I also have the pain in right foot. Dr said I have redundant colon.
Do you still have the pain in foot and what treatment did you use

Hello everyone!  it is such a relief to hear that I am not in this alone.  I am a 43 year old female who has suffered with severe constipation all of my life.  I was just told today by my Primary doctor that I have an elongated colon.  She suggested fiber, exercise and LOTS of water.  I changed my diet some 10+ years ago eating only fruits, vegetables, fish, good grains, very little white foods etc.  This diet has not relieved the symptoms.  I am always bloated, gassy, in pain and at times I feel as if a balloon has been blown up in my abdomen.  My dress size has increased in the last month but my weight remains the same.  It is frustrating!!!!  I just want relief and to live a normal life.  If any of you have suggestion other than being laxative dependent, I'm all ears.....
Had same diagnosis and treatment prescribed. I too, had itching reaction to psyllium powder.  I do ok if I keep my high fiber foods up. I take the stool softeners, but still get constipation if I don't eat high fiber diet. Since I take one dose of narcotic pain med daily, I have had the constipation problem. If for any reason I have to take an extra pain pill, I really get bound up. Miralax works wonders for this. I am supposed to take Stoneyfield yogurt, too, but dr. says only plain or vanilla, neither of which I can stand. I think I'll try the flavored ones anyway. Would be better than none at all. Citrus fruits do seem to be my best source of fiber that really works.
I have suffered with constipation all my life. I am now 54yrs and starting 3 months ago with horrendous tummy pain after every meal. After having Endoscopy / Colonoscopy/ Barium Meal/ CT scan, I was finally diagnosed with Redundant Bowel/Loopy Colon. I have been prescribed Mebererine & Citolpram. My consultant suggested a Low Fodmap Diet. As of today I have lost 2 stone ( which I cant really afford to lose) No matter what I eat I am in agony. I would rather not eat at all and I went 10 days at one point with no food. I have been trying to find a Dietician that has treated someone with this condition but still no luck. My consultant said there was no operation for this and basically I have to live with it and cope with the pain. Life has changed so much in such a small space of time
Really you should get a second opinion. I have your problem and am 52 yr old female. I'm recovering quite nicely from my colonectomy with no colostomy. For 15 years  I heard eat more fiber, then, add Miralax. Finally got a second opinion and a colon transit study indicated that everything was getting hung up in the loops of my Sigmoid colon. A barium enema test confirmed a redundant colon that had loops collapsing on each other. This is what had made it impossible for me to have a bowel movement without using stimulant laxatives to propel everything through. The surgeon was wonderful and performed a laparoscopic partial colonectomy--removing an entire foot of my loopy Sigmund and connecting it to my rectum. Do I regret it--running for the bathroom once a week when my laxatives kick in--or holding my stomach in agony from constipation the day before that--not on your life.
If your life is being seriously impacted by this, consider surgery. It could be the best thing you ever do. You may have to be insistent but it's YOUR life.
Where did you go for surgery and who was your surgeon?
I had 4 colonoscopies within a 3 month period that were unsuccessful in reaching the end of the colon.  I went to the third gastro doc and he did barium enema where the test showed the devices sitting in the colon.  I have had this issue for years, I'm now 65 and wondering if surgery is the answer.

My gut is tender always since I do a powdered polyehtelene glycol 3350 treatment morning and night, 2 5mg bisacodyl laxative and simethocone, 125mg at night.

I am tired of all of this and if I interupt this schedule become constipated badly.

I would like to hear more thoughts on the risks and benefits of surgery.  The docs tell me it it the longest intestine they have ever seen.

I empathize with you all for having this condition.

Lastly, I have been hesitant to do stomach exercises because I have a slight hernia at my belly button and an elongated bulge.

Your thoughts, please.
I have a redundant colon 2x what it should be. The first med you mentioned with glycol  in it .ended  up  twisting my colon. Fortunately, with prayers & blessing , I did not need surgery.  The doctors & surgeon were very surprised it straightened out.  Hope yours gets better, mine was hurting & blocked for 2 weeks. Then it twisted so bad went to ER.
I have Redundant Colon and IBS-C right now - it used to be IBS-D But changed.  I started have severe pain issues a couple of years ago.  Hubby researched the internet and found Heather's Help for IBS website - you can Google that name.  This lady has had IBS since she was 9 years old.  She's not a doctor, but probably knows more about IBS than any doctor out there!  I got her Acacia Senegal powder - an organic substance - and her double enteric-coated peppermint & fennel gel caps.  The Acacia Senegal really helped with the pain but there didn't seem to be enough colonic action to push the fecal matter on through. With IBS you don't want to be taking insoluble fibre - just soluble fiber.  I finally gave up and went back to my gastroenterologist.  The PA told me to use Miralax once a day with the Acacia Senegal.  I now take a dose of the Miralax in the morning mixed with a dose of Acacia Senegal.  In the evening I take another dose of the Acacia Senegal.  So far, if I keep doing this regime daily, it has really helped me.  You might care to check out Heather's website.  Hope this helps.  
does anyone have any current updates?  My 2 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with this and it's been a nightmare since her birth.
Check out this article.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/..

I had a primary resection 8 years ago due to severe diverticulitis. After every bowel test and motility test one could have at Mayo, a redundant bowel was discovered. The surgeon told me that this was not the cause of my life long constipation issues and now infection in my gut.
My mother died as a result of a perforated bowel. I do believe that she had a redundant bowel as well.
This article is more recent than 2007 and it confirms what I have always believed. Redundancy could create a real issue for some people.
I still have redundancy, but untying all of my twists and turns has freed up my gut to perform regularly! I thank God each time I have a good one! It is a wonderful feeling after 50 years of constipation!
So- I would listen to Kipmom and follow a laxative regiment. BTW- I saw the "Constipation Queen" doctor at Mayo too. Here is her very expensive three minute talk, seems to help.
1. When you wake up- move around for 30 seconds- like exercise.
2. Have a hot beverage.
3. Go get ready for the day.
4. Have a bowel of cereal and another hot beverage.
5. When you have the urge- you only have 2-3 minutes to act on that urge.
6. When you have a sit- give it at least 3 minutes, but no more than 10.
HI. I'm late ain't I? I hope you're doing better. I'm 67 and have a genetically long and tortuous colon. Although I've had periodic troubles throughout my life I thought they were what everybody had. But as I hit my middle forties, when many hormonal functions are slowing down, things got scary, and that's when the deformation was discovered. The first thing my doctor said to do was eat a lot whole grain bread, brown rice and wholegrain pasta (horribly swollen mushy stuff that pasta was.) I got really very, very much worse. Things take an awful lot longer to get through you with a complicated colon. The mushy whole grains start to ferment and your gut swells right before one of the hairpin turns. The effects are accumulative. It can be really frightful as you keep eating more  thinking you''ll get relief. So I'm writing just to say that I'd try not following that particular advice. A wonderful soothing food I find (endless variations) is red bell peppers, young courgettes, onions, carrots, (mushrooms, a turnip perhaps, etc.) chopped into largish chunks and baked in a deepish, open, heavy oven dish with plenty of olive oil at 430F for 20 - 40m til the vegetables are oil baked. Add crushed garlic and cilantro right out of the oven. It keeps my insides incredibly happy. Just a thought.
I have the exact same medical history you described to the T along with efforts to be regular, symptoms, & .outcomes. Every single one. I have also had a total pancreatectomy, spleenectomy, whipple, Islet cell transplant to add to abdominal mess. I wonder if something similar is happening inside our bodies that is just getting missed somehow? I am not working but prior was a nurse so I know a little along with living with these issues. Have you found any reprieve?
Blessings, TD
Thank you for your detailed routine. I would love to ask you a few questions. Please email me at ***@****
Dear gut sufferers. I am very much on the same boat as many of you.I have read over 20 comments and have come to the conclusion that NOT ALL IDEAS WORK FOR THE ONE PERSON. The most vital thing to remember and have written on your forehead is THAT HEALTH is the MOST important thing in the world as love, joy, family , holidays, sex etc.. can't be enjoyed unless YOU are healthy enough to ENJOY them. I will not bore you with my issues but must list some in order to explain my findings.
  ♥ Fibre and water are not everything, there are soluble and insoluble and some may have plant species that may upset or give you allergic symptoms.
♥ Yoghurt is great, but not every type of yoghurt. Some are full of sugar and fruit and gums to replace fat. Look for the one that works for you, usually expensive.
♥ Routines ARE important in all aspects of life, as is exercise and good emotional health. Meaning that stress and other emotional issues can also help your gut condition get worse. Running and other exercises may not be the only option, there is Pilates, Yoga, Yolates, Bikram yoga etc.. and swimming that may have double benefits.
♥Medications can also upset your gut/constipation or diarrhoea.
♥Have a health diary where you can write what is going on with all aspects of your health. Eg; you can use EXCEL to work out tables so you don't have to write everyday, only ticking boxes. Make the time for you to heal.
♥ LOVE yourself. I know it can be hard at times, my gut has given me issues since childhood o matter what diet or meds, until I said enough! and started to LISTEN to my body MORE carefully. Now I no longer eat oranges and other foods because it hurts my stomach.
My happiness and health are more important. I am not religious, more spiritual than anything so I believe in seeking peace, health and balance in all things, that way of thinking has really helped, letting go of things I can't control and people who no matter what you do will not value you as you are. Remember our body is a whole not the sum of parts. ♥

Have the surgery! I had the same issue. My colon was 9.5 feet long instead of the usual 3-4 feet for female. I suffered for years under the care of several gastroenterologists.  The last one said the problem was in my head. What a sicko. I finally had a barium enema and the problem of redundant colon revealed. Eating more fiber COMPLICATES the issue if your motility is extremely slow; it just causes a blockage and more pain. In 2001 I went to see a colorectal surgeon, who referred me to another colorectal surgeon who was the best Dr. ever! He performed a right sub-total hemicolectomy and I got my life back. Pooping like normal after several years of pain, enemas, laxatives, fear and frustration. As it turns out, had I not had the surgery when I did, I would probably be dead. Due to the fiber and deterioration of the colon, I has two perforations starting which would have lead to peritonitis per the Dr.  My Dr. was James B. Williams II. He's with Mayo Clinic in St. Paul MN.  To schedule an appointment with James B. Williams II, MD call 651-312-1620.  He will save your life!
I was also told I have a redundant sigmoid colon. Now they want me to go for a fourth defecgram. The GI dr. said she is uncertain if the surgery would help because most people don't have rectal pain.  Did you also experience rectal pain like a fist pushing either up or down in it?  I think the pain comes from the stool sitting above it causing the pressure, so I don't understand why she says that this condition usually does not cause rectal pain. Wondering if anyone else has rectal pain and you just want to sit or lie down. This whole thing has messed up the last 12 years of my life.
Pojoaque, that is great - congratulations on the surgery's success!
May I ask, is the surgery very invasive? Were you left with a long scar? (I had heard could be done with only small incision)  Also, I am curious about recovery time. My GI doctor told me I had a 50/50 chance of success from the surgeries he has seen performed. Also, did your surgeon mention anything about infection risk? I guess this is an in-patient procedure...or did you get to go home pretty quickly? Thanks for the positive report!
I have a redundant colon with a bad hairpin turn near the sigmoid. The best solution for my problem is making sure I do a very high volume enema at least once a week and/or when my colon is full and basically compressing the sigmoid. Because of my abnormality I often feel no urge because the sigmoid can not fill up. So when this happens, the sigmoid needs to be filled with the enema liquid for the contents to get moving. Why doctors never talk enemas with patients is sad. If your problem is at the end of your digestive track, it is so much less stress on your system to do enemas and work on the problem from the outlet end. Because of my long colon, sometimes I need to refill the enema bottle and do more than one application. It takes time, but since I started this regime I am finally getting results. And I feel so much better every day!!! By the way, using enemas is not habit forming like laxatives and fiber, and they can help restore normalcy to the gut by shrinking stretched out sections of loopy and chronically blocked large bowel.
I know this is a really old question, but I figured I'd put this out here for anyone else who might be looking for advice. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago after worsening abdominal pain, bloating, bowel movement changes and constipation. I was told to take fibercon, so I started taking two caplets every morning, plus one capsule of schiff's digestive advantage lactose defense formula (I'm extremely lactose intolerant. Adulthood has left me with a complete inability to digest it all, and while a pill won't ever allow me to straight up drink a glass of milk or eat an entire tub of cottage cheese, it definitely helps reduce or eliminate symptoms if you're smart about how much you consume at once and throughout the day. Lactaid never worked for me, but this stuff literally changed my life). The other thing I noticed was that foods like corn, oatmeal and nuts seemed to cause me terrible pain and constipation (I know because, not to be gross, but it was easily identifiable due to the general lack of change in appearance or quantity after making it's way through my system). Even though I quite liked those foods, I completely eliminated any kind of whole kernel corn due to the pain it caused me. I can tolerate a small amount of oats (say a small granola bar) If I chew it to death, but a whole bowl of oatmeal equals about three days of agony. Eating nuts is pretty much like playing with fire... it's hard to tell how much is too much and apparently the line is very thin so I just try not to eat them. It kind of ***** and I really miss those foods sometimes, but my symptoms have improved greatly. A side effect of eliminating those foods (it might be good for some people, but I'm already thin by nature so maybe not so much for me) is some potential weight loss. I still have an issue every once in a while (primarily when I deviate from the dietary restrictions) but my symptoms have decreased greatly and my quality of life has definitely improved.