Trouble Swallowing with Mucus in Throat
I am a 50 y/o male, slightly over-weight, never smoked, and basically a non-drinker as well (about 1-2 beers per month, maybe). 15 months ago I went thru a period of swallowing difficulty, dry cough, feeling like a lump in the throat, and heavy mucus in the back of my throat. Went to see an ENT and he performed an endoscopy, I think (small tube with light into my nose and down my throat). Told me I had LPR, put me on 40mg Nexium a day. I took it for 3 months and things got better, but after being off it for a month or so, things were right back to where they were, but without the dry cough.  I went to see my General Doc back in Novenber, to put me back on Nexium 40 mg/day. I have been back on Nexium for 4-5 months now, but with no improvement. Still having minor swallowing difficulty, slight sore throat, and still heavy mucus in the back of throat, all the time, every day.

I'm wondering if I'm not doing something correctly. Is there a "best" time to take the Nexium, or just anytime, as long as you wait an hour before eating? Is morning best, or mid-afternoon? Also, can this "Barret's" thing pop up, even thought I really don't get the burning heartburn up in my chest? Should I be concerned about eventually getting Barret's Syndrome if this continues? How bad is bad, or am I just over-reacting? I'm guessing I need to do see the ENT again for another test to see where things stand.

Thanks for any responses.
Here is a link that might help you:

http://www.barbershop.org/web/groups/public/documents/pages/pub_id_057797.hcsp

Dehydration can contribute to the coagulation of mucuous in your throat, so I would suggest you drink more water.  Also, compression of the diaphram can cause acid to go up the throat, so go easy on physical activity for an hour after eating.  I have found that too much sugar in food and drink can dry out a person...if you've switched snacks or drinks in the last six months, notice how you do if you eliminate those.

i had the same issue with swallowing. i saw 4 doctors . 1 prescribed nexium , 2 others had no clue what was going on, they recommended taking nexium . the 4th doctor at the same hospital finally found out what's wrong. excess of lymph tissue in the back on my tongue , which caused swallowing issues. he told me to stop taking nexium.  here are few causes of that problem, hiv, hogkins disease, cancer. if those tissues are less than 2cm in diameter are not really harmful. if they are bigger biopsy is performed. in my case they are not large, and i have to have camera put in m throat every 6 months to check if those tissues are not getting bigger.   you should go to ent doctor and have him check your throat with a camera.