Gastroenterology Community
Trouble With Pregnancy After Srgery?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Trouble With Pregnancy After Srgery?

Hey everyone my names Steph, I am 25 Years old, and I had ulcerative Colitis when I was just 5 years old. At the age of 9 & 10 I had 2 major operations to remove my large intestine. I had an ileostomy for about 6-9 months, and then everything was rerouted and put back to functioning . My parents were told that I may not have kids some day, and that  day has come. We have been trying to conceive for almost a year now with no success. I am just wondering if anyone else with these surgeries and disease have found themselves with this problem too? I have very irregular menses and that may be the problem too, but I just want to find my odds before I go to the doctor and they tell me im “screwed”, Anyone have kids after all this? Naturally or with help? Any irregularities in you menses? Thanks to all who help.

Stephanie
I have sons with this so I can't help with that.  But your OB-GYN should be able to help you.  I would think this would  in no way interfere with your ability to conceive.  My friend has always only had one period a year and was told she would never have kids, she has 3!  Can you say why your colon was removed?  Normally at this age it is often due to FAP being in the family, and if this is the case you would want to seek the advice of a geneticist before having children.  This is what is in our family and my sons had colectomies at 12 & 16, and my grandson at 10.