Trouble with passing wind after surgery
Hello, I had an operation on 10th of September this year which removed a small section of my big intestine. After the operation, I often felt uncomfortable due to wind constantly moving around in my stomach/intestine. Recently, the problem worsened as my doctor said I did not need to restrict my diet and I reverted back to my usual diet (rice, noodles, vegetables, meat, etc) with a larger intake of vegetables and a much reduced amount of meat, as I am trying to turn vegetarian. The discomfort stops if I pass wind, and I have started exercising regularly to facilitate passing of wind. However, the discomfort due to internal wind returns after a few hours. It doesn't hurt very much - it's slightly painful, but extremely uncomfortable. Please help/advise. :(
Have you tried WindSetlers capsules - the active ingredient is Activated dimeticone 100mg. Also contains sodium ethyl parahydroxybenzoate; sodium propyl parahydroxbenzoate.

They can be purchased off the shelf at Superdrug in the UK. Very reasonable to buy also. They have helped me greatly. You can also try peppermint oil but I find the WindSetlers the best.

Hope this helps and you get some relief.
Thanks! I live in Singapore, so I'm not sure if I can find it, but I'll look it up in the pharmacy or see if there's something with similar ingredients. :)
Since you just had surgery and may have also been on antibiotics, try some probiotics - the good bacteria our system should have that can become skewed or depleted due to surgery and antibiotics. I'm not sure what brands you would find in Singapore, but 'common' decent brands in the U.S. are Culturelle, FloraQ and Digestive Advantage-IBS.
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll give them a try. ^^
I had a lot of wind when I had my large bowel removed. Vegies can make things worse but I have found a hot water bottle and peppermint really helps ease the discomfort. (you can even try just dissolving a mint in a cup of hot water and then taking sips). You can buy Colpermin over the counter and these have helped me in the past.

My stoma nurse also said to rub the stomach in anti clockwise circles (if you look in the mirror and your chest is 12 and your legs are 6), this helps the bowel to move naturally and pass the wind.

Hope you get on top of it soon.
Thanks for the advice! I've been feeling better since I ate a large bowl of cherries and they passed out pretty much undigested (unintentionally). I will definitely try that when I have wind. :D After reading wikipedia's article on flatulence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatulence), I have been avoidng those foods strictly.