Gastroenterology Community
Twisted Stomach - what is it?

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Twisted Stomach - what is it?

My husband has been told by the hospital that he has a twisted stomach.  His own doctor has never heard of this and he now waiting for another appt at the hospital with the stomach specialist.  Can anyone tell me what he might expect to hear?  Thank You.
Toodles, the only thing I can think of when someone says 'twisted' stomach or any organs being twisted is that during embryology, many of the organs of the digestive tract are not on the same side the ultimately end up in normally. For instance the stomach is initially 'turned' to the right instead of being in it's 'normal' position with the pouch on the left-hand side. In some people, the rotation that is considered normal does not progress as it should and the stomach can end up on the right side. If that happens it's also possible that some of the other organs can also end up positioned differently. In some cases it can cause problems, in other cases people never know about it because all is fine.

Not sure if that's the thing that is happening here, but it's a possibility.
Thanks CalGal, I will pass that on to him.  Appreciate your help.
Sounds like something he was told in the ER! He can expect to hear more than a made up diagnosis to say to him that he's alive and they want to send him home.
I have heard of this, and I know it can be corrected with surgery. Often they refer to it as the stomach having flipped-flopped!  Your doctor is doing the right thing by having him see a stomach specialist, I'm assuming this is a Gastroenterologist as this is their specialty.
It can be corrected, so try not to worry.  It is rare and this is probably why your doctor has not heard of it, but it's always best to deal with a specialist when it comes to things like this.  I wish you both all the best, and do take care!