UC flaring up
I've got mild UC in the sigmoid colon, with my initial symptoms being constipation, mucous and streaks of blood on stool. I was prescribed Asacol/Pentasa by the doctor after being diagnosed, and have been symptom free for the past two years.

However for the past three weeks, I've started experiencing the same symptoms again, but with less blood and mucous discharge. This flare up began at around the same time I caught the flu, though I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I had also started getting a little careless with my medication, and taking it at irregular times and sometimes even skipping doses out of forgetfulness. I think this carelessness might have triggered it.

I haven't told my doctor yet as I'm afraid of being given steroids or maybe even another colonoscopy. How long can I expect this flare up to last?

p.s. This is the second time I'm posting this, since one of the moderators decided to delete my previous post without having the decency to at least notify me.
My brother had UC. Flare up duration seemed to vary.

Ulcerative colitis increases the risk of colon cancer.

If you have this condition, you should be screened with colonoscopy about 8 - 12 years after being diagnosed. You should have a follow-up colonoscopy every 1 - 2 years.

I know there are various medications that may be used to decrease the number of attacks include:

5-aminosalicylates such as mesalamine or sulfazine, which can help control moderate symptoms

Immunomodulators such as azathioprine and 6-mercaptopurine

Corticosteroids (prednisone and methylprednisolone) taken by mouth during a flare-up or as a rectal suppository, foam, or enema

Infliximab (Remicade) or other biological treatments, if you do not respond to other medications