Gastroenterology Community
UNCONTROLLABLE BILE REFLUX!! PLEASE HELP!!

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Hello.  I have recently been diagnosed with bile reflux.  I have SEVERE, CONSTANT burning in my stomach, abdomen, and chest area.  The bile is refluxing not only into my stomach but my esophagus.  It is so out of control that is has caused my esophagus to not open properly from the burning not being controlled.  And most of all it has caused tachycardia with my heart to the point that when the burning is at it's worst I get heartrates in the 180's.  It has been narrowed down that the bile reflux is causing my problems.  I have a constant fire raging in my stomach/chest/abdomen.  I was prescribed Questran and Welchol, both of which gave me severe heartburn and gas, which did not help because it just went from one type of burning to another.  The only thing that seems to even help a little is Carafate, but not that much.  The docs have told me that they don't know what other meds to try.  Can anyone who has had experience dealing with bile reflux please offer some suggestions as to how I can control this.  It has not been determined what the cause of the bile reflux is.  I have had many tests done (hida scan, mri with mrcp, blood work, egd) the only thing I haven't had done is a small bowel follow-thru, gastric emptying study, and a colonoscopy.  I am not sure what happened to my body.  Prior to having bile reflux I had acid reflux for over 20 years and after seeing a post that said "activia" yogurt cured my acid reflux I decided to try it and after the 14th day my body exploded with excess gas, rapid heartrate(198), and uncontrollable belching(up to 20 min at a time), and severe burning that has not let up for the past 2 1/2 months.  I don't want to leave this out because also during the 14 days that I ate activia I also went on a yeast/candida free diet and and sugar free diet and got 2 IV iron infusions for iron deficienty anemia.  Not sure if these things had anything to do with it but I was pretty much healthy before I embarked on this 14 day diet change.  Based on the testing apparently "activia" did cure my acid reflux because I no longer have acid reflux I now have alkaline/bile reflux.  I am currently typing this from the hospital.  During the last 2 1/2 months I have been hospitalized 8 times.  All docs are puzzled and can't seem to help me.  When I take any type of PPI, H2 blocker, or acid med even something as simple as tums or rolaids, the burning gets worse.  When I tell the docs that they don't believe me but I have found many articles and posts that say that when you have bile reflux these meds make it WORSE....how come the docs haven't read this info?  If anyone has any suggestions on how I can control this bile reflux thing please let me know.  I am very desperate and in misery.

Also, not sure why the bile reflux developed.  I did have abdominal surgery but that was to remove fibroids and they used the same scar as a previous c-section about 3 months prior to this happening.  I do have adhesions from the surgery but bowels flowing normally.  When I ate the "activia" yogurt I am lactose intolerant, I think, and could I have possibly caused an ulcer in my colon.  I read that ulcers there could cause bile reflux, but haven't had a colonoscopy yet.  

Right now I just really need a suggestion of what I can take to get out of this constant burning and pain and then I will continue my search for the cause.  

Please help if you can.
I feel ya.  I have been dealing with (what I know now is) Bile Reflux for over 15 years.  It has hindered many aspects of my life greatly, to the point that I have missed out on so much because I am always too sick to my stomach to do anything.  People don't believe that it can be 'that' bad because they 'get heartburn too' until they see the pictures from my endoscopy showing the severe inflammation of my stomach.  Still, most couldn't even fathom what it feels like unless they are dealing with it.

I have had just about every test done for acid reflux, even though it is clearly bile relflux and given PPI's to no avail.  I have just now found so much evidence to show that what I am actually suffering from is bile reflux (including pictures from my endoscopy showing bile in my stomach) and I am taking this back to my GI doc to demand proper treatment.

Unfortunately, I am four months pregnant (and have been vomiting bile sometimes up to seven times a day) and I cannot take most medications.  I may have to suffer until the end of my pregnancy, but I am going to fight to finally find some relief.

I am so thankful for the internet and it's ability to make resources available for patients whose doctors don't listen to their complaints.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you have found the help that you need!  
Hi, Heather

I think I also have bile reflux because of this constant bitter taste in my moutha and PPIs do not work for me either. As far as I know, Roux-en-y is the only option for bile reflux to be stopped. I have never read any posts by s.o who has gone through this surgery for bile reflux and I`m not sure how good the results are.
I just want to ask u if bile going up ur throat and mouth has caused u bad breath?
Thanks for ur reply.
I have a cure that worked for me, bile relux has been plaguing me for 5 years and i had been getting misdiagnosed with acid reflux, until i started getting the severe esophageal pains that you described, so i went to 100% acid neutralization and was still getting the esophageal spasms/cramping, thats how i knew it was never acid reflux, i also had the abdominal buring, hydrochloric acid can not cause this, only bile can cause this burning sensation in the stomach, i also had the other clear bile reflux symptoms but doctors did not pick up on any of them? What a joke!! I eventually got a 24 hr pH test which clearly showed non acidic liquids jumping up from my stomach, contrary to what people think, bile acid is actually alkaline.

What you need to do is realise that any acid blocking medication is making the problem worse, due to "Delayed gastric emptying", PPI are also known to aggrevate symptoms and cause attacks to be more frequent although not as severe. When i realised what i had to do to cure myself i panicked, i thought if i stop taking acid blockers i will be in agony within 12 hours, and i was right, i had intense esophageal pains that lasted 8 hours all through the night, i only ate dry toast and sipped water in between for 1 day, that night i slept with stomach pains and burning, the next morning, my condition was 10 times better, the burning had gone and my esophagus was breathing a sigh of relief.

Its so simple when you think of it, bile is getting into the stomach! solution is to stop it getting into the stomach and to stop bile production, you do not need meds to do this just some bravado.

How does this work? when we first went to the doctors are condition was not as bad as it is now, am i correct? We had bile in the stomach, our pyloric valve was weak, we had burning sensation, so we got put on acid blockers, they cause delayed gastric emptying which causes excess gas, and high pressure fat destruction dilates the stomach valves making the problem worse, allowing more bile in and alows it to damage the stomach for longer, delayed gastric emptying causes back flow and hey presto the bile goes into your esophagus and causes severe damage, this problem spirals downwards and the condition gets worse over time and causes additional problems. When we first got the problems, we probably were not looking after ourselves as we should fatty foods? late night snacks? overeating? If all we had done back then is changed our eating habits and lifestyle instead of going to the doctors we would have been cured years ago, in fact the problems would have gone in 24 hours.
So this is how it works, which is all the opposites to the above, the problem causers, we need to improve digestion and gastric emptying, to do this we need to stop the acid blockers or any acid neutralizing drugs, we need to eat non fat non dairy products, small ammounts regular, the gall bladder reduces the ammount of bile produced, this meansevery time that stomach valve opens to empty, it takes the bile into the intestines with it, in the meantime the bread soaks up all excess stoch acids and bile like a sponge and stops it splashing up to the esophagus, hence why you should not drink until you feel your stomach empty, you do not want fluids splashing around.
Imagine your valve is a door, imagine you are bile, you are on one side and every time that door opens you tries to run through, but when it opens a 1000 people on the other side coming running through the door in the opposite direction, your going to have getting through arent you, the doors is slightly ajar, so you sneak through and 1000 people are all stood still, so you make your way through the crowd, before you can get through the crowd surge's forward and drags you back to the other side of the door and down the street, lol.
I can laugh about it now because it is all so simple, i spent years in agony and depression, get through that 24 hours and you come cback and tell me you do not feel 10 times better, the day after you will feel like the illness never happened, whenever you get a bit of reflux, eat dry toast and it will work 10 times better than any acid blocker did.
Gradually build up your diet, rice and fish, fresh vegeatbles,the odd banana, sleep elevated to combat reflux, because no doubt you have lower esophageal impedence and you will find a new lease of life, forget drugs, the only thing that might help is Bile diversion surgery, but why even have that when it is so easy to self heal.
Because you stomach acids will be back to normal level and food is being broken down properly to release nutrients you will also get all your energy back, because of the new healthy diet you will probably live longer and happier life.
Natural things are always best, get plenty of excercise once you get your energy back, your stomach will empty even faster and your body will get even stronger and so on, just build on it and appreciate you got a second chance.
Sorry, i should summarize.
The Problem
The problems is bile getting into the stomach.
The catalyst is delayed gastric emptying, causing backflow of acids into the esophagus
The cause of delayed gastric emptying is acid blockers, low stomach levels.

The Treatment(so simple it blows the mind)
Speed up gastric emptying by stop taking acid blockers or any other medication and by eating small meals regular.
Do not eat foods that will promote the production of bile.

The Result
You are cured, you have broken out of the viscious cycle and are in the recovery process, every time bile comes into the stomach it gets flushed back down into the intestines before it can do any damage.
Long term your body gets stronger to the point where you actually cure the problem completely, the lower esophageal sphincter recovers from the constant bombardment and gets its strength back,reducing reflux symptoms, stomach muscles start to contract strong again, nutrients, vitamins, proteins and calcium get released from the food and absorbed, due to the stomach acids being at the correct level again and everything just starts spiralling back up.

The Conclusion

If you do not break the viscious cycle you will be plagued by this for the rest of your life, everything you try to do and every medication you take will cause other health problems and make symptoms worse.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/02/070212185309.htm

Please also read the above article.
I am researching for my elderly mom.  I am learning that acid reflux and bile acid reflux are different.  I read sickboys cure for the bile acid reflux and I appreciate that.  Does acid reflux also cause thick salivia?  I am trying to rule out different things.  Thanks!
hey mate !! i like the way you did this all and its a nice job really appreciated.

I think i am having the same bile issue because the time i finish my lunch or dinner and some time even during my eating the pain on in my stomach revolves like a hunting rat and it started killing me by making gastric and burning in my stomach specially in the right handside of my abdom but i never thought its getting so common now and so many of us are affected by this.

Any ways the idea is to control the diet rather then medicines.

where can i get some bravado!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I too had my gallbladder removed 10 month ago and have had nothing but agonizing pain from bile reflux diagnosed after EGD. It has gotten so bad that breathing and swallowing and the burning pain in my stomach and abdomen have been excruciating.  PPI's, carafate, creon, thumbs down, made matters worse.  I have just began working on my diet and the dry toast does assist in helping the problem.  What foods have worked best in reducing bile besides toast? Oatmeal seems to work okay also. Thank you
I have Bilre Reflux disease and tkae Controloc, De-Nol, Motilium.I do not drink, do not smoke, stoped spicy food, eat only chiken and stakes from swine(because i need to eat some meat, i am skinny) and vegetables but still it does not help.I also have bad breath from this and doctors think my dandruff is related to this.
I have possible cancer development
The operation is on the way...
I am trying Sickboy1 method but what exactly should i do?
Psyllium husks common brand is metamucil. Take this mixed in whatever drink you choose and then sip water. This has staved off my symptoms for three months now. I was diagnosed with bile reflux through a scope. I hope this helps. I know the pain is unbearable. I had been dealing with it on and off for almost two years before I started taking the Metamucil.
Hi i was wondering how long it took for you to get cured when you started your diet changes? Also does Gaviscon make bile reflux worse? Thanks!
Please Heather712 let me know if you were fine with the pregnancy. I currently have bile and acid  reflux and scared to get pregnant.
I had some similar problems after they removed my godbladder, thank God I starterd to take some natural medice from foreverlife. to help me with my digestive system. I take alovera juice in the morning, mineral, Ginko, and alfafa pills. this medicines had helped me the most. I stoped taking all the medicines that the doctor gave me. when I take the natural medicine everyday i do really god, but when I stop taking them I start suffering from pain, heartburn, and nausea.  I also get a lot of nausea and the only thing that I vomit is bile. this desseas is horrible. I remember when my mom bought me the medicenes it took me a lot of time to make up my mind about taking something different, but I remember that I pray to Jesus and I ask him to be with me and He answered my prayer because most of my siptoms are gone!! I hope that this sugestion can help you and I so sorry that you are going to all this pain.
plus one on your treatment, i stopped the ppis and after 3 months finally saw real recovery results, im not 100% healed, but my energy is coming back, no bile vomiting, no reflux except for some burning in the stomach sometimes and all thanks to delayed gastric emptying. I tooked ppis for a year so i supposed my acid levels will take their time in coming back to normal. I read in the why stomach acid is good for you book that acid is necesary for a correct comunication between the les and the pilorus so it makes sense the need of acid to stop bile.
Have you had a 24hr Ph impedance test?with an implanted electrode(bravo capsule)this will tell you if you have bile reflux or acid reflux.It will also show the food,fluids and the way the acid is flowing.
My wife had a total gastrectomy becuae of stomach cancer that was covered up by ppi drugs .... nevertheless no somach no top or bottom valve and real problems with bitter bilerefulx ,,, she had also found refuge in toast .  she has  no problmes with sandwiches and pizza both have bread in the mix ...small meals of course.. she caslls it a neverending cocktail party  with out cocktails.. very intersting confirmation of my wife's discovery. thanks!
Hi there so want to get pregnant and recently got some fertility medication to help me its an 85% chance of getting pregnant. But I too suffer from this bile reflux its so terrible and now I am scared to have a baby I am worried that the bile reflux will get worse and make me miserable during pregnancy. I noticed your post and realized that u are pregnant and seem to have went through all of this. Is it worth getting pregnant before fixing this bile reflux issue permanently?
hi, just wandering right now are you free of bile reflux?
Hello.I am in similiar position.I have gall stones which makes acids and probably bile reflux even up to my throat.I am so afraid ,for from the mid summer of 2011 untill now I cannot stop the acid/bile reflux at least towards my throat.I ought to go to hospitals and cut off my gall blader but am afraid. Please tell me  which food do not create bile reflux?
Thank you for the information for bile reflux! But tell me are you with gall blader removed ,for I have stons in my gall blader and they said even before 10 years that I ought to remove it ,because the stones in it create the bile reflux.
Hi ,my bile reflux goes untill my throat and I cannot cure this condition already from the summer of 2011 and am so afraid! I have stones in my gall blader from 10 years and they said that thewse stones are the reason for the chronically inflamed stomach and gullet lining and now even my throat! I am desperate what food to eat to stop the bile reflux?
I know it's been awhile since you posted about bile reflux but i was so impressed by your post because you couldn't have said it better! I have had bile reflux for a few years now and what you said is exactly what you have to do to get better! Do it or suffer. I have found that eating bran flakes has help a great deal with my bile reflux among other things. Anyway what you said you have to do to get better is what I have found to be true also:)
I have been recently diagnosed for Bile Reflux Gastritis. It really *****. They gave me Sucralfate. Does getting off the reflex medicine work that good? I am going to try it. I have lost 23 lbs. I gave up dairy, meat and almost everything but bananas. I make smoothies with oatmeal, bananas, strawberries, and put in my vitamins. I soak them in water and add Hemp protein so I can stay some strong. This is the worst sickness I have had besides having my gallbladder removed. I will keep in touch with ya all! Luanne
I have bile reflux gastritis. It has been hell. Get off all dairy since everybody should be off dairy! Dairy has pus and its for baby calves. I am going gluten free, and no processed foods. Low fat diet period! I had my gallbladder out in 1998. I have lost 25 lbs. I recently found this book by Caroline Myss It is called " Invisible acts of power" It's about curing yourself through your Chakras. You heal through your own energy. I have been studying this. I found some tapes of hers and it is remarkable. I understand that you have to heal yourself. I am talking to natural doctors. The stress alone is hurting you. Try to relax. Keep your energy for yourself. Oatmeal and bananas help. I make smoothies and soak my vitamins in water and add hemp protein and Aloe Vera . Eat Boiled potatoes and I eat small amounts of Salmon Brats diet= bananas, rice, apples, toast. Gluten free! I hope you get to feeling better. I am going to feel better because God is so in my life! Loony56
I have Bile Reflux Gastritis. I can eat bananas. I make smoothies with bananas, cooked oatmeal, strawberries. I put hemp 50 protein, soak my vitamins. This makes a great smoothie. I add powdered probiotics. The best comfort is hundreds of year old. The egyptian, aztecs used for Gastritis is Herbs. Go get  Chamomile flower, Chamomile leaf, slippery elm, and  marshmallow root. Boil water about 2 cups to a rolling boil, add a pinch Chamomile tea, pinch chamomile leaves, pinch marshmallow root,pinch slippery elm. Take water off stove and add mixture of herbs. let steep and cool down a lot. Strain and now you have a tea. I am feeling better. The doctors were messing me up worse trying to tell me that Sucralfate was the only cure. It made my heart race. I take 2 omeprazoles 20 mg, 2 teaspoon equate maalox and mix water in it. I sip my tea all day. It mellows the stomach. I can eat soft Salmon now. Please tell everyone to look for those herbs. If those people from hundreds of years ago use it so can we. My boyfriend works alot with Herbs. Talk later Loony56
Eat a low fat diet. I had a gallbladder removed. Eat no dairy, beans like legumes, I eat no meat but fish, Read Dr Dahlman report on IBS. It fits our criteria. The best remedy for Gastritis is tea made from the ancient Aztecs, Romans, Egyptians is 3 ingredients Chamomile flowers, slippery elm, and marshmallow root.  Get about 3 cups water to rolling boil. Take off heat and add about 1 teaspoon chamomile flowers, pinch of chamomile leaves, pinch of slippery elm, bigger pinch of marshmallow root. Drain and drink tea. This is the best remedy of all! Need more info let me know. I am thinking of doing a video to show all the people who suffer from the Bile Reflux Gastritis. I am now eating fish, bananas, oatmeal smoothies with hemp pro 50, strawberries, and I add an apple. I soak my vitamins and add those. I hope this all helps.
make this tea!
Eat a low fat diet. I had a gallbladder removed. Eat no dairy, beans like legumes, I eat no meat but fish, Read Dr Dahlman report on IBS. It fits our criteria. The best remedy for Gastritis is tea made from the ancient Aztecs, Romans, Egyptians is 3 ingredients Chamomile flowers, slippery elm, and marshmallow root.  Get about 3 cups water to rolling boil. Take off heat and add about 1 teaspoon chamomile flowers, pinch of chamomile leaves, pinch of slippery elm, bigger pinch of marshmallow root. Drain and drink tea. This is the best remedy of all! Need more info let me know. I am thinking of doing a video to show all the people who suffer from the Bile Reflux Gastritis. I am now eating fish, bananas, oatmeal smoothies with hemp pro 50, strawberries, and I add an apple. I soak my vitamins and add those. You can add licorice root. if you want. I have not because I dont like licorice.
please think twice about gallbladder removal. More complications will arrive.Try to get off dairy, meat, beans, junk food, no sodas. Dairy is the biggest culprit. I have tons of information if you need more
Hello, my name is Shelly and after gallbladder surgery, I have found that I have bile reflux and I cannot even work sometimes. I never took the meds the doc wanted me to because I was afraid of the side effects and they were not working. I tried Aloe vera juice and it burned horribly! I think maybe my stomach is too irritated right now for that. But I tried other herbs that did help. I have a script for Xanax because my anxiety is out of control, but no other drugs. Could you send me some info. to my email that might help. My teeth are cracking from this and death sounds good sometimes. I hate to be this way, but I am very miserable. My email is shellyb_64***@****. Thanks
I have Bile Reflux Gastritis. I make this tea and it does wonders. Here is the recipe. Go to the health food store and get Chamomile tea flowers, marshmallow root, slippery elm. Boil four cups water to a rapid boil. remove from heat. Take a big pinch full of chamomile flowers, smaller pinch of marshmallow root, smaller pinch slippery elm. Let steep for a good hour. Let it cool because you want it not to be hot. I strain it and put it in a jar. Drink all day little sips. I was finally able to eat a banana, apple, boiled potatoes, fish, salmon cod and trout, avocados and I make oatmeal smoothies. I soaked my alive vitamins in water then added that to the smoothies. No spices! When you have out your gallbladder you cannot digest fat so do very little. I do butter only but very little, no junk foods or processed, try to go gluten free, and I quit dairy, I do not meat but fish. I am going to order some digestive enzymes next month called angeo pangene, and lipo gene. Found this out through Dr Dahlman online. I did find the products cheaper through pure formulas,com. Make sure ot get Vitamin D 3 from DR Kalsa Soram. He is awesome and carries the best products. Gee I am full of info aren't I. You know why, because you have to be.I do so much research. If you want to read a good article of Bile Refux go to Helium.com and find Frank Will on that article of Bile Reflux Gastritis. This is the tea he describes that has been used for thousands of years. Good luck. Hope you start to feeling better, If he mentions using licorice use it sparingly. Loony56
Did you become pregnant since your last post? And if so, how was your bile reflux? I just developed bile reflux and this might be a problem of mine in the future...
Hello sickboy1
At the start did you use dry toast all day , what can be done for quick gastric emptying
hi
im newly dx with this problem
can we share our experience???
Excellent help I know you are the only person on the whole net who has helped me!  Thank you so much, maybe once I get around this whole business of finding what works I will too be able to help others get around this hellish state of being.  It's been a week since I've been diagnosed and I am half depressed and half all into finding the answers for myself.  I might be gluten intolerant too, so I've stayed away from gluten and am feeling better!  Little meals are helping but neverthelss I still have pain after eating but it's more bearable knowing that everyone with BRD suffers as I do, it's nice to have pain friends
I don't understand what he means to do and I read it a few times. Stop all PPIs and just eat dry toast for 24 hours? Nothing other than toast and water? I am confused
Wow, I read your experiences, and I am amazed.  I thought I was sick!  I started having problems about two years ago.  I didn't have too much discomfort, but I had to be really careful when I was drinking.  I would cough and choke while drinking.  I had a number of choking spells when drinking coffee, and beer and wine.  Then, I really became sick twenty four seven.  It started on new years eve of 2013.  I lost my speaking voice, and I felt terrible, and I coughed constantly, and felt like I had to clear my throat all the time.  

It has taken a year and a half to be diagnosed with bile reflux.  Now I have some idea of what is happening.  As you all said, the acid blockers didn't help.  I have good days and bad days.  I can never figure out what causes the days to be good or bad.  It doesn't seem to correlate with anything I eat or drink or do.  

I had a bad day yesterday.  I constantly felt like I needed to clear my throat and I needed to cough, and my stomach bothered me.  I couldn't figure out whether I was hungry or too full.  The bile reflux gave me a bad taste in my mouth all day, and I had trouble talking.  It also makes me a little short tempered and makes me want to stay away from other people.  I don't even like to talk on the phone when my voice is bothering me.  

I use Carafate when the symptoms are occurring.  It helps.  
On dexilant now and not as much pain in stomach.  Had gallbladder removed 25 years ago. Had hpylori at one point, also have had adhesions removed that caused total bowell blockage.  But unlike others I have gained weight 15 pounds.  I quit smoking over a year ago thinking that was causing the hoarseness and cough.   Diagnosed with bile reflux four months ago.  Was told to lose weigh but I eat small portions and I am still gaining.  Spicy foods don't bother me nor does garlic or onions my triggers are coffee , chocolate, popcorn, pork, lunch meats and alcohol.  Leaving off the alcohol does not bother me. But giving up chocolate is horrible.  
I am so so worried about this. I have been struggling with my stomach for about 3 years now (I am only 39). I was massively overweight, lost 6 stones and was o so happy. The problems then seemed to start from nowhere.....nausea, pain, cramping, not emptying when I went to toilet and all this seemed to start after I had an umbilical hernia repair. Then I had a gallbladder attack and I had that removed and they said that would stop the pain and nausea...............it didn't.
Changes in diet make no difference although I must say when I eat less healthily I seem to feel better than when I stick to a diet like slimming world (high protein, less carb, lots of veg). I alos seem to feel better when I DO drink which is weird.
So it now seems that they say I have bile reflux and my problem is that I am worried about the long term and the links to cancer......or Barret's.....my Doc today said that it was not a problem but I have read otherwise. My daughter is only 6 and I love her so much and I want to be around for her for many years........I am now petriifed that this will devlop into something more serious eventually. I am going on to carafate tomorrow and mottilium (domperidone) does seem to help some of the time. Weirdly I do remember an 8 month period where I was totally symptom free but there didn't seem to be any reason for that, I can't put my finger on what was so different but I was so grateful everyday that I seemed to be cured. As I say I am starting the new meds tomorrow, I will post back to let you know if there is any improvement. Please post if you find a cure, also any advice on how I should be pressurising my Doc would be greatly appreciated...........I don't want to die too young :), good luck everyone