Gastroenterology Community
Ulcer question

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Ulcer question

I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at the same time, about  6 months ago, after having daily diarrhea and pain for months. In upper and lower stomach. They found an ulcer  but nothing else from those tests. There was no H pilori and they checked for all other stomach diseases while under for those tests. I also took stool samples tests and many blood tests. I was treated for the ulcer by several zantac like medicines for 6 months. But nothing for the diarrhea and I was still in pain.
I still had the upper stomach pain, and the lower pain stomach pain that came and went, on and off. I wound up going to another GI doc with my records to get another opinion. He said he thought I had IBS and gave me meds for that. The terrible diarrhea did go away but not the upper stomach pain. My best friend in another state told me that when she had bleeding ulcers as well as non bleeding ones, they gave her a medication that coats the stomach. I am shocked that neither GI gave me that medicine, nor did my PCP that I saw every week or 2 and they all knew of my continued pain.. I had to practically beg my PCP for that coating medication which did help me so much with the ulcer pains and I was finally able to eat again. I am still getting the lower stomach pain which sometimes travels to the left side. It is more annoying then a sharp pain.
I am moving out of this state soon and going to Florida which I hope has better informed doctors. My main questions are, how long does an ulcer take to heal and what do you think the lower stomach pain could be? Thanks for any answers or even guesses.
Tags: question, ulcer, Pain, help, diarrhea