Gastroenterology Community
Ulcerative Colitis and Surgery
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Gastroenterology issues such as Acid Reflux (GERD), Barretts Esophagus, Colitis, Colon/Bowel Disorders, Crohn's Disease, Diverticulitis/ Diverticulosis, Digestive Disorders and Stomach Pain.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Ulcerative Colitis and Surgery

Hi
I've had UC for 9 years now and recently my doctor found pre-cancerous cells on two polyps in my descending colon. He is advocating for surgery and says there are options now to have my entire colon removed without a bag--apparently attaching my small intestine. Does anyone have experience with this? I am not against surgery, but it does scare me and I'm most interested in post-op issues (ie, how dramatically-for good or bad-will my life change?)
Any thoughts or help is appreciated.
Thanks
J
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
193245_tn?1189993322
Always get a second opinion on something like that.  Then choose a surgeon wisely.
Blank
I lived with Ulcerative Colitis for 11 yrs before my Dr. suggested surgery.  I had polyps but they weren't cancerous.  I just kept staying sick all of the time and I was severely anemic.  He performed a total colectomy on me where he removed all of my large intestine.  I had to wear a temporary ileostomy for 3 months (while everything healed "down there").  Afterward the ostomy was removed.  It is the best thing that ever happened.  
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Gastroenterology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank